System Deputy Compliance & Privacy Officer - Compliance - Central Div.
Compliance - Central Div.
Bachelor's degree is required.
* The Northeast Division System Deputy Compliance & Privacy Officer will lead a team of Directors (who are assigned to local provider entities serving as Compliance & Privacy Officers) and Compliance & Privacy Specialists for various Steward entities in the Northeast Division.
* This position reports directly to the Chief Compliance Officer (CCO) for Steward Health Care System (Steward) with indirect reporting to an assigned entity executive leader. The Northeast Division System Deputy Compliance & Privacy Officer needs to be a person of high integrity, and any other duties assigned should not be in conflict with the Steward's compliance program goals and objectives. This position will be based in Westwood, MA and will require some travel to the other Steward locations as needed.
* The role involves assistance with both strategic leadership of OCCP's Compliance & Privacy Team and strong collaboration with entity-level management teams. Specifically, the Northeast Division System Deputy Compliance & Privacy Officer is responsible for driving implementation of Steward's Compliance Program at both the system and any local provider entities for the Division; including leading compliance program activities for newly acquired or newly created provider entities.
* This position is also responsible for driving compliance program "operational excellence" (i.e., standardization, scalability, effectiveness and efficiency) system-wide. Furthermore, this position will be responsible for adapting the capability of OCCP's Compliance & Privacy Team to meet an evolving landscape of regulatory compliance requirements across a growing number of operating units.
* Participates as a member of OCCP's leadership team in a way that furthers the vision, mission and values of Steward including developing effective working relationships with team members and key stakeholders, such as entity-level management, and demonstrating value beyond compliance
* Advises and assists Steward's Northeast Division with investigation, remediation and tracking follow up to any identified corrective action plans
* Under the direction of the CCO, leads compliance program due diligence and integration activities for newly acquired entities including compliance program coverage for newly created Steward entities in the region
* Collaborates with OCCP leadership team and other functions (e.g., Internal Audit, Human Resources, Clinical, Revenue Cycle, Information Services, etc.) to direct compliance issues to appropriate existing channels for investigation and resolution. Under the direction of the CCO, consults with Office of General Counsel (OGC) as needed to resolve legal compliance issues.
* Drives strategy, implementation, and consistent application of Steward's compliance and privacy policies
* Ensures collaboration with System Northeast Division Leadership to keep them current on the latest compliance program related risks and leading practices. Generates Central Division Senior Leadership summary reports as needed
* Assists the CCO with preparation of the system-wide annual compliance plan, ensuring that privacy and compliance risks are adequately addressed
* Participates in health care compliance and privacy professional organizations to stay abreast of privacy and corporate compliance developments and leading industry practices
* Ensures coverage or participation and/or leads divisional and entity-level Compliance Committee meetings as needed
* Conducts periodic OCCP team meetings in order to ensure effective communication
* As requested, actively participates in Steward system-wide initiative committees
* Oversees the preparation of divisional quarterly report and assists with development of the annual reports on the compliance program for the CCO
* Provides reports on a regular basis, and as directed or requested, to keep the CCO informed of issues on a timely basis
* Monitors compliance activities and investigations across the entities to assist the CCO in identifying trends
* Under the direction of the CCO, ensures proper reporting of violations or potential violations to duly authorized enforcement agencies as appropriate and/or required
* Assists management in ensuring consistent application of sanctions for failure to comply with compliance and privacy policies for all members of the workforce, in cooperation with Human Resources and OGC, as applicable.
* Cooperates with the regulators (e.g., CMS, OIG, OCR, State Attorney General, etc) and other parties, as appropriate, in any privacy or compliance audits and investigations
* Implements, monitors and reports on system divisional and entity-level compliance program metrics regarding effectiveness and efficiency to the CCO and work closely with OCCP's leadership team to take steps to improve performance
* Maintains time and effort reporting records as requested
* Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external)
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed
* Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
* Knowledge and experience with all general health care compliance and privacy regulations required.
* Working knowledge and advanced experience with all general health care compliance and privacy regulations, including interpretation and application required
* Familiarity with operational, financial and information technology security regulations
* Strong supervisory / management skills
* Strong oral/written communication and presentation skills a must
* Strong leadership, organizational, interpersonal and analytical skills and the ability to function effectively in a fast-paced environment
* Ability to remain composed and even-tempered
* Ability to prioritize and plan work independently
* Ability to interact with all levels of management
* Effectively work with and coordinate the activities of external consultants and legal counsel
* Ability to anticipate potential issues and proactively respond
* Good judgment and problem solving skills
* Sound business judgment and advanced problem solving skills
* Ability to maintain confidentiality
Education: A bachelor's degree required; Master's degree preferred.
Experience: A minimum of 5 years' experience in compliance and privacy for the Healthcare industry at a managerial level, with demonstrated success and evidence of progressive responsibility & leadership. Advanced compliance and privacy, project management and program oversight experience.
Certification/Licensure: Certification in Healthcare Compliance and Certification in Privacy required,
Software/Hardware: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Internet skills required.
Other: Travel Requirements: Ability to travel regionally and nationally. Must have a valid driver's license and provide own transportation and be able to travel to Steward locations using a variety of modes of transportation.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 55860