Supervisor, Tech Support
Posted Date: 3/26/2020
The Supervisor is responsible for providing day-to-day management of Support Technician’s at their respective hospital site(s) and affiliated practices. They provides guidance, training and consistent ongoing support to the facility’s technical support staff. The Supervisor will be responsible for providing end users with highest level customer support. The Supervisor will be required to work independently with minimum direction from leadership. The Supervisor will be responsible for reporting to leadership information that is necessary to ensure the technical goals and objectives of the IS Department are met. This individual will also assist in mentoring and training junior staff. Responsibilities also include identifying and developing best practice opportunities and developing standardization within the region and system for efficiency and cost savings. The Supervisor of Technical Support must be able to communicate and collaborate with all departmental directors within their hospital as well as Steward IS staff and other member hospitals.
- Under direction of the Manager, The Supervisor of Technical Support will assist in managing a team of technical staff providing desktop hardware and software support services at respective Steward Hospital sites and affiliated remote locations.
- Provide superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers, and patients
- Handles day to day staff management including time reporting, staff oversight, and job assignments
- Supervise all aspects of direct report Technical staffing, including weekend/holiday coverage, daily work schedule and On-Call coverage.
- Manages the receiving, shipping, and inventory of all PC desktops and peripherals at the respective Steward site.
- Act as a liaison between local hospital users and centralized IS for software and hardware deployments
- Participates in the development, planning and execution of large deployment projects and/or departmental moves of devices.
- Assists Manager with performance reviews and disciplinary action (if needed, career counseling and technical direction for Technician staff
- Manages support calls and delegates responsibilities for Technician staff.
- Review assigned calls in the call tracking system and take appropriate action to resolve issues. Ensure that all tickets are updated with information in a timely manner.
- Prioritize and escalate problems within given guidelines
- Utilize stored information and documentation to help resolve issues.
- Demonstrate the ability to work with minimal supervision and direction
- Triage calls to appropriate groups if call cannot be resolved
- Assess and interpret customer needs and requirements
- Maintain a clean and orderly workplace, organizing and properly disposing of hardware, software and miscellaneous items in accordance with hospital, departmental and enterprise standards
- Maintain a flexible schedule in accordance with the needs of the department. Occasional after hours and weekend work to cover shifts. Responsible for covering some shifts alone
- Mentor and provide guidance to junior members of the technical support team.
- Conform to all departmental and enterprise standards, policies, and procedures
- Contribute to short and long-term organizational planning and strategy as a member of the management team
- Provide setup and installation services for networked devices using Steward’s standard operating procedures and asset management procedures
- Add/modify devices to the network in compliance with the Steward standards
- Participate in the execution of large deployment projects and/or departmental moves
- Develop an understanding and awareness of the enterprise, including its objectives, design, strategies, departmental initiatives, staffing and the roles of key players in the organization.
- Submit timely status reports to senior leadership and other project stakeholders as required.
- Participate In the development and implementation of policies and procedures to improve process and workflow for the technicians
- Occasionally lift and carry supplies and equipment weighing up to 30 pounds
- Travel to other sites required
Required Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Superior project management skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work requirements
- Ability to work independently and take initiative over diverse project areas
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Excellent listener to customer requests, exceptional understanding of customers business need and generally able to do what the customer “needs” rather than just what the customer “asks”.
- Exercises considerable discretion and independent judgment
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to lead and motivate others under pressure
- Ability to prioritize and escalate problems
- Able to lead small projects.
- Capacity to advise and provide direction to junior staff.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to follow direction.
- Ability to be flexible, versatile and adaptable in day-to-day activities conducted in a multi-site environment.
II. Experience: 5 years’ experience in a customer services focused environments, 3 years related management experience, Healthcare IT preferred
III. Certification/Licensure: Industry standard certification Microsoft Certified Desktop Technician (MCDST), CompTIA A+, and/or CompTIA Network+ is preferred
- Hands on PC and Macintosh experience in installation, repair and troubleshooting
- Expert knowledge of PC hardware and associated subsystems
- Expert knowledge of Windows desktop operating systems.
- General knowledge of MSOffice, Exchange, IE, Safari, ActiveSync, MS Project, MS Visio,
- Knowledge of client-server computing
- Knowledge of printer hardware and experience in installation, repair and troubleshooting
- Knowledge of basic data communications networking equipment, including hubs, routers and cabling infrastructure
- Knowledge of LAN/WAN internetworking protocols
V. Other: Ability to respond to common inquires or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies or members of the business community. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure.