Sr. Data Warehouse Developer
As SMG continues to expand its use of BI tools to drive effective decision-making, the Senior Data Warehouse Developer will play an instrumental role of providing actionable insight to key business stakeholders. Under the direction of the Senior Manager of Business Intelligence, the primary responsibility of the Senior Data Warehouse Developer is to develop optimized and effective datasets for analysts and other users across the SMG enterprise, along with supporting business intelligence tools and initiatives. This role is a member of a team that provides reporting to users across multiple teams and thousands of providers within the SMG business unit on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. Working with other members of the Business Intelligence & Data Warehouse team, other Analytics and IS teams across Steward, key business stakeholders, and third-party development teams, the Senior Data Warehouse Developer will transform SMG’s analytical data into actionable insights. The Senior Data Warehouse Developer will be expected to manage projects and initiatives requested by senior leadership from inception through to the final deliverable. Along with partnering with other team members to provide optimized datasets from the SMG Data Warehouse and third-party Health Catalyst platform, the Senior Data Warehouse Developer will act as a supplement for developing Tableau dashboards, Tableau Prep flows, and automate workflows using Python.
- Develop queries and views for both standard and ad hoc reporting, primarily using Microsoft SQL Management Server
- Responsible for gathering requirements from users and other SMEs, designing and developing of scalable ETL processes, performing unit and QA testing, assisting users with UAT, and rolling products to production
- Act as a subject-matter expert for translating business requirements into ETL processes
- Collaborate with data engineers, data architects, third party developers, business analysts, and subject-matter experts to identify useful and strategically relevant insights
- Develop and deploy operational dashboards and reports to drive business impact
- Partner with Senior leaders, Executive leaders, and other team members to actively participate in and influence discussions about reporting requirements, product design, and infrastructure needs with internal partners
- Develop Tableau Prep flows to automate Tableau server ETL processes
- Act as a subject-matter expert on SMG Data Warehouse and Health Catalyst Data Marts
- Collaborate with data owners to improve and streamline data flow processes and measure data quality to improve accuracy, viability, and value
- Recommend approaches in design, architecture, and tools used to increase product effectiveness
- Create and maintain technical design documentation Provide additional support for users through training, documentation, system access, report writing guidance, and query resolution to help them analyze, understand, and utilize data most effectively
- Act as backup for managing Tableau server, its performance, and automating server tasks
- Use tact, sensitivity, and professionalism in communicating effectively and respectfully with the leadership team, physicians, co-workers, and others
- Work independently with minimal supervision
- Communicate consistently, professionally, and clearly
- Maintain confidentiality of restricted records and communications
- Maintain the values and philosophy of the mission statement of the company
- Perform other duties as required for this job
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics/Statistics, Science/Engineering, Management Information Systems, Business, or an equivalent field
- Expert SQL knowledge
- 6+ years of total experience with Business Intelligence, data/financial analysis, data architecture, and modeling
- Ability to anticipate how to successfully enable end users to consume and comprehend complex data sets
- Experience with Tableau, knowledge of other BI tools a plus
- Experience automating workflows using Python or R and leveraging standard analytics libraries
- Experience in sourcing data from disparate systems with a good understanding of their data models and ETL workflow
- Experience with JIRA and Confluence or other issue tracking products
- Proven documentation and organizational skills
The Ideal Candidate:
- Collaborative spirit, contributes to team dynamic
- Creative energy and a sense of humor
- Possesses a myriad of tools in their tool belt to assist in SMG’s continued investment into more robust reporting tools and methodologies
- Able to communicate effectively with non-technical users, provide expertise and strategic recommendations to team
- Able to design processes and products in a scalable manner
- Understands that becoming an effective developer requires a base level understanding of business rules and partners with SME’s to deepen their knowledge of the business
- Experienced managing their individual projects and timelines
- Experienced automating workflows using in Powershell and/or Python REST API’s
- MS in Analytics, a Science, Information Systems, or MBA
- Possesses experience acting as a Tableau server administrator
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.