Senior Network Engineer
The Senior Network Engineer will perform a variety of tasks related to critical Hospital Systems. Requires an expert knowledge of LAN/WAN network infrastructure and protocols. This includes supporting and troubleshooting routers, switches, wireless, video, unified communications hardware and network management server configurations. S/he will work with vendors and the vendors to coordinate installation of network hardware and systems, and project implementation.
The Senior Network Engineer will work with the team on incoming application technical design and implementation. S/he will have proven experience in technical review and implementation and installation of LAN/WAN network infrastructure and related products.
This position will report to the Manager of Network Engineering and will bring a strong in-depth knowledge of all aspects of Network information systems in a large enterprise. S/he will work together with stakeholders, leadership and subject matter experts to effectively support, design and deploy effective technical solutions that maps to the organization's strategy, processes, information, and information technology assets.
• Ability to analyze solution requirements and assist with the technical design and implementation to address complex business and technology needs
• Responsible for maintaining the Steward Network infrastructure supporting/troubleshooting network/system problems.
• Coordinate with vendors and the business for installation of network hardware and systems, and project implementation.
• Performs installation and maintenance of network hardware, software, and solutions.
• Recommends hardware and software acquisitions to meet projected demands.
• Adheres to problem resolution and escalation procedures, documenting, and responding to all related system problems and resolving them on a timely basis.
• Maintains inventory of network equipment, IP addresses, service locations, maintenance agreements, and leased lines.
• Strong knowledge of IT operational and technical support process frameworks
• Notifies manager of problem areas and develops backup strategy and emergency plans.
• Maintaining router, switch, wireless, unified communications hardware and network management server configurations;
• Performs regular on-call duties as scheduled.
• The ability to work at multiple sites within the Steward Healthcare System
• Expert verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interface with peers, partners, and senior IT and Business management to present technical options and budget needs, and guide them through recommended options based on industry best practices, ROI and TCO aspects
• Strong ability to map business requirements to technical solutions
• Good understanding of healthcare industry solutions and market trends
• Ability to adapt and change priorities as the business needs change
• Encourage teamwork and foster an environment of openness, trust, and acceptance
• Research and maintain knowledge in emerging technology; evaluate their applicability to enterprise business goals and operational requirements.
• Set and maintain high standards of customer service
• All other duties as assigned
• Off-hours availability for emergencies and change windows is required.
CHALLENGES / PROBLEM SOLVING
Steward Health Care is a fast paced organization. This poses a challenge in improving existing technology and processes, and evolving information services ability to deliver enterprise class services to the changing and growing needs of our business.
Improve day-to-day operations and availability while also developing long-term solutions and processes that will ultimately differentiate Steward Health Care and provide improvements to our employees, physicians and patients.
The organization will continue to evolve creating a consistent level of change in the environment.
Typically possesses 5-7 years or more of relevant work experience in infrastructure architecture and/or technical management roles - architecting/engineering infrastructure business-critical solutions in a multi-platform heterogeneous environment for large-scale enterprise
Experience in multiple hardware and software environments and be comfortable with complex heterogeneous systems environments
Broad knowledge of many facets of applications and infrastructure technologies and how they interact.
• Five to seven years of professional experience in a medium to large size organization with complex networks.
• Preferred industry certifications include: CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, or other Cisco certification.
• Strong understanding of IP subnetting and routing protocols including BGP, OSPF and EIGRP.
• Ability to deploy and manage complex network LAN/WLAN/MAN/WAN infrastructures.
• Ability to understand concepts behind subnets, variable length subnet masks (VLSM), and virtual LANs (VLAN).
• Understanding of the OSI Model.
• Experience with Cisco network products is preferred.
• Ability to prioritize projects and daily work-flow.
• Excellent teamwork and communication skills are required.
• Excellent customer service skills are required.
• Proficiency in a scripting language such as Perl is desirable.
• Experience with Linux is a plus
• Experience in a large healthcare organization a plus.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 4805