Senior Financial Analyst
Under the direction of the Manager of Financial Planning & Analysis, the Senior Financial Analyst is responsible for creating, analyzing, and maintaining multiple practice financial statements to support SMG's strategic initiatives and overall performance. The optimal candidate for this role is detail oriented, adaptable to shifting priorities, and excels at synthesizing and translating financial information for a non-financial audience to inform strategic operating business decisions. The Senior Financial Analyst is a key partner to several SMG market Practice Directors and is a significant contributor to achieving all its financial performance goals.
- Own financials for multiple specialty-aligned business units; subject-matter expert on business unit activity.
- Produce accurate and timely financial reports and analysis, meeting organizational and departmental deadlines.
- Participate in monthly financial performance review with senior leadership and practice directors; possess clear and effective written and oral communication skills
- Develop financial models for productivity, compensation, and expense management control.
- Ability to identify & propose new processes/automations/ enhancements to add greater efficiencies in routine processes and socialize for feedback
- Drive productivity and efficiency through collaboration with operational leaders to develop and publish financial and operational dashboards.
- Partner with operational leaders to create annual operating budgets, exercise critical thinking in identifying variances to plan and determining solutions to those variances.
- Ability to present financial information to a non-financial audience and be a proactive business partner.
- Assist in monthly financial close; calculate revenue and expense accruals and prepare journal entries for general ledger maintenance.
- Possess strong attention to detail with a focus on quality and accuracy.
- Use tact, sensitivity, and professionalism in communicating effectively and respectfully with leadership, physicians, and peers.
- Commitment to providing the highest quality of work with compassion and respect.
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- Respond timely to emails and phone messages.
- Possess excellent customer service, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Consistent engagement with team members including training new employees and mentoring existing employees
- Perform other ad-hoc duties and projects as required for this position with limited direction.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Business Management, Science, Statistics, or Mathematics.
- 5-8 years' experience in Accounting or FP&A, healthcare experience highly desired, but not required.
- Experience in analyzing budgets, financial reporting, and forecast variances.
- Experience in mentoring, training, or acting as project lead with team members.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills are required.
- Experience with Kaufman Hall Budget Advisor (Axiom), Tableau, Meditech financial modules, Lawson, Kronos, VBA, or Athena are required.
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting and communication skills are required. Must be able to present to senior leadership as needed.
- Ability to work with non-financial orientated business partners to convey results and elicit important strategic information.
- Strong understanding of healthcare financial concepts required.
- Strong modeling experience required.
- Confidentiality is required.
About Steward Health Care
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.