Steward Health Care is the largest private, tax-paying physician-led health care network in the United States. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward operates 35 hospitals in the United States and the country of Malta that regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The company employs approximately 42,000 health care professionals. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, over 7,900 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters per year. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah.
The Scheduling Coordinator summary of duties included but are not limited to: coordinating practice inquiries, scheduling appointments, answers telephone, greets patients, and prepares patient charts for new and existing patients, performing reception duties to maintain correct patient information, performing patient discharge duties to include collection of co-pays, co-insurance and deductibles from current or previous visits, accepts and pre-registers patient reservations from physician’s offices for outpatient procedures, surgeries, etc., and assists with the insurance verification and treatment authorization processes.
- Identifies potential previous patient history before processing data.
- Prepares charts on new patients, updates charts for existing/returning patients. Pulls charts and review for messages.
- Verifies patient billing information to include: Responsible party, current address, telephone number, insurance carrier, etc. Copies insurance cards completely.
- Generates/prepares charge tickets for patients scheduled or added on.
- Files all patient related information accurately and timely.
- Assists patient with authorization to release medical records.
- Collects co-pays, deductibles, co-insurance, etc. or past due balances.
- Balances cash received at the end of each day and reports as directed. Checks, summarizes, and totals all charge tickets at end of each day. Posts charges and payments on the day of service as time permits. Puts patient sign in sheet and charge tickets into an envelope and takes to Billing/Collections clerk for processing.
- Assists with other clerical functions as needed or requested.
- Answers all phone calls promptly and courteously. Takes messages accurately and completely. Ensures that callers placed on hold are attended to promptly.
- Enters information into computer system using established criteria.
- Initiates appropriate levels of communication with patients and physicians offices to obtain missing details on patient accounts.
- Calls/Faxes designated pre-certification or prior authorization number to obtain authorization for payment of services rendered.
- Initiates phone calls with insurance companies to acquire authorizations.
- Maintains professional and appropriate communication and behavior with patients, co-workers, physicians, and vendors.
- Maintains HIPAA confidentiality at all times.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred
- One (1) to three (3) years’ experience as a scheduler in a medical office preferred