RN Clinical Documentation Specialist II - Fiscal Clinical Integration
Fiscal Clinical Integration
The Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialists role is to provide clinically based concurrent and retrospective review of all inpatient medical records to access and procure accurate and complete documentation of the patient's diagnoses and procedures. The Clinical Documentation Specialist acts as a liaison between medical staff, nursing and coding to ensure the clinical documentation supports and reflects the most appropriate level of services and resources provided. Superior written and oral communication skills coupled with the ability to analyze and critically think is essential.
* Provides clinically based concurrent review of inpatient medical records to assess and procure accurate and complete documentation of the patients' diagnoses and procedures.
* Ensures documentation accurately reflects quality of care, severity of illness and risk of morality to support correct coding, reimbursement and quality initiatives.
* Proactively contacts physicians or other departments regarding procedures/diagnoses to ensure proper documentation. This includes joining physicians and other clinical staff in educational sessions and "rounds" on the nursing units. Participates, when appropriate, with questions to improve overall documentation of the care being rendered to the patient.
* Performs initial case reviews and appropriate number of follow-up reviews based on the programs standards.
* Following -up with the physician responsible for the care of the patient, via the query process, for clarification of clinical significance.
* Assign the DRG based on coding guidelines/ regulations issued by AHA (Coding Clinic) and CMS.
* Works in collaboration with the HIM coding department.
* Prepares and presents educational sessions to physicians on proper documentation. Monitors and participates in performance improvement initiatives.
* Monitors and participates in performance improvement initiatives.
* Participates in the planning for assigned inter/intra departmental meetings and presentations
* Maintains professional competency by keeping abreast of new coding issues and guidelines.
* Communicates cooperatively on a daily basis with coding specialists and case managers regarding mutual cases. Able to be an approachable liaison to facilitate the achievement of CDI goals.
* All tasks need to be performed following the Operating Principles of Steward Healthcare. Adheres to system and department compliance policies, and any and all applicable laws and regulations. Performs other duties as assigned.
* Communications effectively with medical staff and Data Quality Specialists and Coding Manager (as necessary) to acquire, interpret, and transmit accurate diagnostic and procedure information for billing.
* Keep Program Director informed of potential and/or actual problems identified during the review process, concurrent progress and operation of program.
* Demonstrates all skills of CDS with <%5 error rate.