Remote Supervisor, HIM Outpatient Coding
The Outpatient Coding Supervisor shall oversee the Northeast outpatient coding operations and workflow. The Outpatient Coding Supervisor position shall support the Coding Manager with direct coding, auditing, and/or edit review. The position shall support Revenue Cycle with special projects such as denial review, appeals, DNFB management, and process improvement efforts designed to meet division goals. The position will be directly responsible for coder shifts and DNFB management.
- Oversight responsibility over outpatient coding.
- Directly supports to both coding management with revenue recovery, process improvement, special projects, auditing.
- Extensive knowledge CPT, HCPCS, NCDs, LMRP, NCCI and CCI classification, policies and reimbursement structures.
- Reviews DNFB daily and evaluation of holds daily.
- Responsible to ensure coders are meeting productivity standards.
- Ensure that claim hold reason is assigned before account hits DNFB report.
- Maintain open communication with hospital leadership team including daily escalation of missing reports from providers.
- Trend and track outpatient coding queries issued by discharged coders.
- Ensure coding staff holds accounts until all medical content is collected before final billing.
- Promote a culture of collaboration between hospital leadership and shared service professionals.
- Coordinate workflow improvements with HIM Operations Management.
- Ability to develop, adhere to, and monitor policies and procedures for optimal revenue through coding that comply to all regulatory and compliance standards.
- Supports collaboration between remote Outpatient Coders, Union Coding Staff and onsite HIM management.
- Abides by the Standards of Ethical coding set forth by AHIMA and monitors coding team.
- Maintain Discharged, but Not Final Billed goals set by Vice President, Health Information Management.
- Ensure SHC policies related to HIM, Revenue Cycle, and Compliance are implemented and monitored.
- Implement HIM related projects at the direction of the Vice President, Health Information Management.
- Support hospital-based departments such as Quality, Risk Management, Case Management and Patient Access with respect to HIM coding.
- Assists HIM Leadership team with development and implementation of health information management coding policies.
- Monitors changes in legislation and accreditation standards that affect health information management and coding.
- Responsive to senior management during off hours and/or weekends.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Meditech experience preferred
- Extensive experience with IPPS, UHDDS, Coding Clinic, AMA CPT Assistant
- Microsoft Office (Word, One Note, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to meet assigned deadlines.
- Extensive knowledge of Anatomy & Physiology, Medical Terminology, and Pathophysiology
- Education: Associates Degree, bachelor’s degree preferred
- Experience 3-5 years of coordinator/lead/supervisory experience within an Acute Care Hospital setting. Extensive experience with Revenue Cycle operations in outpatient acute care coding.
- Certification/Licensure: CPC Credential, RHIT or RHIA preferred
- Software/Hardware: 3M 360 experience required, Meditech experience preferred
- Other: Remote work environment with up to 25% travel when necessary.