Regional Director, Patient Experience
Reporting to the Vice President/Executive Director of Patient Experience for Steward Health Care, and working in partnership with the region’s Senior Leadership Teams (including Steward Corporate Quality Department and Patient Experience Departments for Steward Medical Group and Steward Health Care Network), the RD will support the development and implementation of a comprehensive patient experience strategic plan and program for Steward Health Care. In collaboration with system and local clinical and administrative leadership, the RD, will support leadership, education and project management across the Steward Healthcare System to improve patient and family experience initiatives, promote innovation and to identify/develop/spread best practices for service, safety, quality and operational excellence. The RD will oversee the local implementation for quality improvement specific to the patient experience in his/her geographic region.
- Drive system-wide strategic plan for patient experience in designated region on time and on budget achieving outlined targets;
- Oversee, educate and direct local patient experience leads across all entities of the System (hospitals, SHCN, SMG)
- Responsible for assisting in deployment of best practices across the local region specific to service excellence and patient experience for all System entities in conjunction with safety and quality goals;
- Provides technical support to the hospitals and entities on analysis and interpretation of patient experience metrics and measurement system and uses such analysis to assist in the establishment of local improvement goals and plans;
- Supports and attends Patient Family Advisory Council, Labor Management Committees, Professional Practice Councils and Patient Experience Committees for each of their regional sites (and other committees as appropriate);
- Builds relationships with all members of local senior leadership teams, including as new members come on board, and collaborates with senior leadership teams to determine needs for support and resources;
- Support corporate and local senior leadership teams to ensure accurate knowledge of patient experience improvement plan and progress;
- Ensure all sites are prioritizing and driving patient experience improvement;
- Work with sites to identify and remove barriers to patient experience improvement;
- Shares best practices and lessons learned among the system;
- Align patient experience programs with SMG and SHCN to ensure united system message;
- Provides training, shadowing, coaching, and assessments as necessary for leaders, staff, and clinicians;
- Analyzes data to identify opportunities, successes, and root causes;
- Identifies operational and performance improvement opportunities as necessary to improve patient experience;
- Collaborate with vendors and ensure focus on driving patient experience improvement and open communication regarding barriers;
- Partners with Press Ganey to maximize use of their resources and provides Press Ganey training and support for local users and leaders;
- Collaborate with Labor Management Committees and Unions;
- Develop and implement trainings across system as appropriate for patient experience improvement;
- Oversee and support system Patient and Family Advisory Councils; and
- Assist with managing new vendor and technology proposals regarding patient experience improvement solutions.
- Manages workload independently and allows for successful management of urgent deadlines.
Required Knowledge & Skills:
- Demonstration of progressive leadership positions in complex environments;
- Experience working with Senior Leadership Teams of varying composition;
- Excellent presentation style, including the ability to present to clinicians, senior leaders, and staff at all levels of the organization;
- A highly-skilled change agent with demonstrable sensitivity to the interpersonal, group dynamic, organizational, political, and perceptual issues associated with change;
- Demonstrated ability to create and sustain momentum through relationship building and collaborative management;
- Expertise in project management at system and local level, ideally;
- Able to analyze complex problems and develop recommendations and solutions;
- A proven track record of leading an organization’s improvement efforts surrounding patient experience and service excellence;
- Possesses a high level of enthusiasm about patient centered health care and the patient experience;
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Authentic and charismatic leader with the ability to instill passion and enthusiasm in others;
- Experience with patient satisfaction data, statistics, and surveys preferred;
- Knowledge of and experience with continuous process improvement methodologies and tools.
- Highly motivational communication skills accompanied by the ability to analyze and present data to influence behavior, stimulate innovation, promote best practices, and drive organizational change;
- Visible, passionate, professional, and highly engaged leader with the ability to inspire, challenge, and motivate others to achieve common goals;
- Willingness to challenge the status quo and to innovate new ideas, behaviors, and communication
- Ability to clearly, concisely, honestly, and professionally communicate with all levels of the organization;
- Able to use data and resources available to identify root causes and prioritize opportunities for improvement;
- Strong communication skills with all levels of leadership and employees and knowledge of how to adapt communication style depending on audience;
- Direct, transparent, honest, respectful, kind, and compassionate;
- Has understanding of CAHPS surveys, CMS requirements, patient satisfaction surveys, and other methodologies for listening to the “voice of the customer”;
- Strong leadership, organizational, and communication skills;
- Able to collaborate with a variety of constituents, mobilize people towards a common goal, and drive results;
- Able to be strategic and forward thinking with an exceptional talent for flawless execution;
- Knowledgeable about healthcare operations and business as well as the national and regional trends;
- Must have professional leader presence and ability to influence
- Flexible to change regarding needs and priorities of the organization.
- Education: Master’s degree in Health Care Administration or related field.
- Experience: 5 years’ experience in the field of patient experience.
- Certification/Licensure: N/A
- Software/Hardware: Microsoft Office suite.
- Other: Hospital experience preferred; healthcare experience required
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 20215