About Steward Health Care
Nearly a decade ago, Steward Health Care System emerged as a different kind of health care company designed to usher in a new era of wellness. One that provides our patients better, more proactive care at a sustainable cost, our providers unrivaled coordination of care, and our communities greater prosperity and stability.
As the country’s largest physician-led, minority-owned, integrated health care system, our doctors can be certain that we share their interests and those of their patients. Together we are on a mission to revolutionize the way health care is delivered - creating healthier lives, thriving communities and a better world.
Steward is among the nation’s largest and most successful accountable care organizations (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through a closely integrated network of hospitals, multispecialty medical groups, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities and behavioral health centers.
Based in Dallas, Steward currently operates 33 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas.
This position is responsible for all operational aspects of the employed community physicians' office, including but not limited to: staffing, patient relations, liaison with the central billing office, office planning, computer systems and protocol, establishing standards for office operations and procedures, equipment and supply ordering and accounts payable.
Directly supervises all non-physician staff within the Practice. Works in concert with Steward Medical Group Human Resources staff to perform the following functions:
• Interviewing and hiring
• Staff training
• Performance evaluations and
• Corrective actions and performance improvement plans.
• Manages the re-employment of staff to provide coverage and/or arranges for emergency float coverage of office management, medical assistants, RN's and secretaries as required. Covers nonclinical positions if coverage cannot be arranged.
• Assists in preparing and managing the operating budget for the practice. Investigates discrepancies and significant changes in monthly income and expenses. Reports discrepancies to the Practice Administrator/Director of Practice Operations as required. Ensures cost containment guidelines are met for the individual practice.
• Provides information and assistance to patients to ensure effective patient relations. Investigates and proactively resolves patient complaints and concerns. Facilitates staff training in new customer service techniques and/or processes.
• Liaisons with the Central Billing office to maximize revenue associated with the patient billing process for the Practice and ensure accurate data collections. Researches specific ICD-9 and CPT codes applicable to the Practice and in conjunction with Steward Clinic.
• Responsible for coordinating training for physicians and staff in Athena Billing and Steward Medical Group policies and procedures to capture accurate billable information in a timely fashion. Manages staff regarding the utilization of the Athena system to ensure efficient and accurate billing of encounters.
• Manages the day-to-day facilities management for the Practice including any repairs or remodeling, service contracts for equipment and the inventory of all capital equipment. Makes recommendations to the Practice Administrator and the Director of Practice Operations regarding office restructuring and expansion. Assists with processing the necessary documentation and managerial support.
• Authorizes the procurement of special order medical/surgical supplies and capital equipment.
• Assesses needs in collaboration with the clinical staff for the annual capital and expense report, coordinates trials, evaluates and negotiates with vendors in conjunction with the Purchasing Department to procure capital equipment, processes purchase orders, coordinates installation and in-servicing.
• Ensures proper invoicing and tracking of receivables and payments to vendors.
• Management of the process and office workflow using the electronic health record.
• Trains staff, (physicians, nurses, administrative and support staff), on existing programs, quality measures, and Meaningful Use measures as well as any new programs or upgrades in a timely fashion. Presents information at monthly Networking Meetings as required and disseminates information from these meetings to physicians and staff.
• Maintains an optimal physical environment for the office and reports any unsafe conditions, inoperative equipment or other adverse conditions to the Practice Administrator and the appropriate department.
• Ensures compliance with all Steward Medical Group policies and procedures. Participates in development and evaluation of departmental policies and procedures. Prepares staff to respond effectively to both internal and external disasters and comply with all departmental policies and procedures.
• Attends seminars and training sessions specific to the Athena system, CPT coding, capitation, managed care, and physician practice management.
• Uses discretion at all times to ensure patient confidentiality. Conforms to the confidentiality policy of Steward Medical Group.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• Supervisory experience, billing and financial management experience required.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, Athena and eCW experience preferred.
• Ability to speak, read and comprehend the English language fluently required.
• Strong interpersonal communication, managerial and organizational skills required. In-depth knowledge medical practice operations and supervision.
• Experience with an electronic health record within the medical office preferred.
• Patient relations, staffing, billing systems, budget and financial reporting and patient flow and scheduling required.
• Knowledge of insurance coverage systems, including but not limited to co-payments, referrals, HMO, PPO and capitated products required.
• Knowledge of professional fee for service billing required.
• Ability to analyze and solve operational issues independently and creatively required.
Strong orientation to patient care in accordance with the values of the Steward Health System
• Must have the ability to analyze, think creatively and to weigh alternatives.
Good perception of people and excellent conflict resolution skill required.
• Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree preferred or equivalent.
• Minimum Experience: Two to five years of practice management experience in a health care setting.
Certifications: Training in quality improvement, ACO, performance improvement, employee relations and staff recruitment strongly preferred.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Steward Health Care is proud to be a minority, physician owned organization. Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are at the foundation of the care we provide, the community services we support and all our employment practices. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.