Physician Documentation Assistant
Are you looking for an exciting, professional career with a company that treats each individual with dignity and respect? We take pride in our work and organization knowing that we each make a difference in the lives of our patients every day!
Steward Medical Group at Hawthorn Medical Associates is looking for an enthusiastic, dedicated Physician Documentation Specialist (PDS) to assist our providers in the treatment of patients. The successful candidate will:
- At the physician’s discretion, the PDS may accompany the supervising physician during a patient’s history taking and examination.
- The PDS will record onto the electronic medical record (Athena) the details of the patient’s visit as directed by the physician. The physician may elect to personally document any part of any patient’s record, or to complete it in its entirety.
- The PDS, at the direct request of the physician, may elicit and record elements of the medical history, social and family history through direct questioning of the patient and or the patient’s family. In such cases, the physician must personally confirm this information to his/her satisfaction.
- The PDS may assist the physician with researching and recording a patient’s PMH by reviewing notes, reports, referral notes from other health care facilities, and hospital records (e.g., prior admission notes, discharge summaries, operative/procedure notes and ED records).
- The PDS will enter all orders for patient care utilizing electronic medical record (Athena). The PDS will enter orders as a delegate of the physician.
- The PDS will record all discharge documentation, including personalized discharge instructions, referrals, work/school notes and prescriptions.
- Ability to read and write English
- Knowledge of medical terminology; familiar with Electronic Medical Records
- Ability to successfully interact with medical staff, patients, and families
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and conform to all standards of HIPPA, compliance and privacy regulations
- Medical Assistant Certificate
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred with some healthcare experience; current medical students encouraged to apply.