Orthopedic General/Trauma Physician Assistant
The Department of Orthopedics at Steward is seeking a full-time, licensed Physician Assistant to provide clinical care as well as support programming for the trauma and general orthopedic program.
Physician Assistant’ will play a pivotal role on this service with first assisting in the OR, and well as involvement in all aspects of post-operative care, including inpatient management. Responsibilities include independently rounding, patient education and proficiency in post-operative orthopedic management. Position will require individual capable of practicing with a high degree of clinical autonomy. Position will be required to function across all points of care-clinic, ER, inpatient and outpatient.
The Physician Assistant's on service will work regular scheduled shifts, rotating weekend coverage and rotating call coverage requirements.
The role may include:
- Support emergency and access to care: Participate in the on-call schedule.
- Support admission to care: Perform comprehensive and problem-focused histories and physical examinations; perform appropriate laboratory and diagnostic studies.
- Provides patient services in the orthopedic clinic under direct supervision and responsibility of Physician and or Department Chair.
- Perform diagnostic and therapeutic procedures such as aspiration and injections of joints, bursas and cysts. Apply casts, braces and other orthopedic appliances.Examines patient, performs comprehensive physical examination, and compiles patient medical data, including health history and results of physical examination. Instructs and counsels patients regarding compliance with prescribed therapeutic regimens, emotional problems of daily living, and health maintenance.
- Support inpatient care: Assist with surgical procedures in operating room; perform minor procedures on the unit; conduct daily hospital rounds; evaluate post-operative patients; handle discharge planning for patients on service.
- Facilitate patient referral to the appropriate physician or agency; and conduct follow-up visits on patients.
- Office Duties: Returning phone calls from patients, handling prescription refills and EMR management support.
We are seeking candidates with a background in orthopedics.
- Graduate of NCCPA approved Physician Assistant Program
- Massachusetts Physician Assistant License
- Two to five years Physician Assistant experience required.
- Experience managing and leading a staff required
- NCCPA Board Certified or Board Eligible
- BLS Certified
- ACLS Certified
- Orthopedic Experience
- Ability to travel to MA based programs
About Steward Health Care
Nearly a decade ago, Steward Health Care System emerged as a different kind of health care company designed to usher in a new era of wellness. One that provides our patients better, more proactive care at a sustainable cost, our providers unrivaled coordination of care, and our communities greater prosperity and stability.
As the country’s largest physician-led, tax paying, integrated health care system, our doctors can be certain that we share their interests and those of their patients. Together we are on a mission to revolutionize the way health care is delivered - creating healthier lives, thriving communities and a better world.
Steward is among the nation’s largest and most successful accountable care organizations (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through a closely integrated network of hospitals, multispecialty medical groups, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities and behavioral health centers.
Based in Dallas, Steward currently operates 39 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah.
For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: On Call
Job Reference #: 122901