This position is responsible for providing Physician Assistant services for the St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center Urology Department. The primary responsibilities of the Physician Assistant include assessing, implementing, evaluating, and coordinating health care to patients including share of primary call responsibility.
Responsibilities in the office include:
- Perform consults on new and established patients.
- Functions independently and collaboratively to perform history and physical for acute, critical, and chronic urologic patients.
- Performing diagnostic tests and screening evaluations.
- Help to organize clinical protocols for the practice
- Prescribing medications.
- Reviewing diagnostic results
- Responding to patient inquiries
- Office procedures commensurate with experience and comfort
Responsibilities in the department include:
The PA will perform detailed histories and physical exams, review patients medical records, order laboratories studies, radiological and diagnostic studies. Record appropriate and accurate daily progress notes. The PA will provide patients and families with pre-operative and other pertinent education. They will answer questions regarding surgery, recovery and risk factor modification, procedures. The PA will arrange for hospital admission and discharge at the direction of the supervising physician. In addition, the PA will:
- Provide assistance in the operating room
- Independently perform routine urologic procedures on the floors and in the emergency room commensurate with experience and comfort level.
- Responsible for providing primary call coverage from home on a basis to be determined by supervising physician.
- Daily physical assessment and daily rounding on all urology patients.
- Consult with the supervising physician regarding physical findings and course of treatment.
- Order appropriate medications as determined by the supervising physician or designee.
- Order diagnostic tests per as determined by the supervising physician or designee.
- Initiate consultations to other services, authorized by the supervising physician or designee.
- Accountable for maintaining the confidentiality of all Steward Medical Group and patient related information.
- Abide by all Steward Medical Group policies & procedures.
- Conduct other duties as assigned by the supervising physician.
- Massachusetts license to practice as a Physician Assistant
- Start date contingent on successful enrollment of insurance payors.
- DEA / Massachusetts Control Substance licensure
- Graduation from an accredited Physician Assistant Program. Urology experience in a surgical program preferred.
- Current BLS and ACLS certification
About Steward Health Care
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.