Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center, Boston, MA, is seeking a full-time, licensed Physician Assistant time to join growing Neurosurgery group. Under the general direction of the neurosurgeons at SEMC, the physician assistant will manage patients in designated Outpatient-, Inpatient- and OR-settings
• Graduation from an AMA accredited Physician Assistant Program
• Prior experience > 1 yrs in a surgical environment preferred, especially in neurosciences with a population of mixed spinal and cranial patients
• Prior experience with electronic medical record systems preferred
• Current or recent BLS and ATLS/ACLS certification.
• Valid Massachusetts license to practice as a Physician Assistant
• Valid DEA/Massachusetts Control Substance licensure
• Fluency in Spanish or Portuguese a plus
• Communicates and coordinates effectively with the supervising MD and other health professionals
• Communicates clearly with patients and their families
• Provides superior customer service to internal (80%) and external (20%) patients
• Identifies and assesses problems while interviewing and examining patients
• Competently orders and interprets lab and imaging studies, prescribes medications, completes paperwork, and formulates treatment plans in collaboration with supervising MD
• Provides pre and post-operative patient care and education
• Acts as surgical “first assist” for a variety of procedures, both intracranial and spine
• Management of inpatient and outpatient Neurosurgical issues, including perioperative care.
• Works in a collaborative fashion along with supervising MD to manage post-operative patients in ICU, PACU, floor and clinics.
• Can independently cover some phone calls, assists supervising MD with rounds on weekends if needed, and may intermittently cover first call from answering service
• Performs Basic and Advanced Life Support measures as necessary
• Perform similar and related duties as requested by supervising physician
• Participate in data collection and research as directed
• Reports immediately to supervising MD in the event of any deviation of normal operations
• Participates in Hospital Incident Reporting System and other risk management activities
• Shall be accountable for abiding by all relevant hospital policies and procedures
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.