Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner
The Mid-Level Practitioner (Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant) will be primarily responsible for supporting ambulatory and/or outpatient surgical services. Additionally, position will be expected to demonstrate aptitude to work across the various service lines as required. Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner will play a pivotal role on this service with first assisting in the OR, and well as involvement in all aspects of post-operative care, including inpatient management. Responsibilities include independently rounding, patient education and proficiency in post-operative orthopedic management. Position will require individual capable of practicing with a high degree of clinical autonomy and will be required to function across all points of care-clinic, ER, inpatient and outpatient. Position includes regular scheduled shifts, rotating weekend coverage and rotating call coverage requirements. This position is 40 hrs per week, at our practice located on the Jordan Valley Medical Center campus.
- Make rounds as directed by surgical attendings or service protocols with follow-up and documentation of patient progress and problems.
- Provides assistance in the operating room as a member of the scrubbed team under the direction of the attending surgeon as R.N.F.A.
- Facilitates communication and coordination of the plan of care as established by the attending surgeon.
- Elicits patient history, performs physical examination and writes assessment.
- Provides first level response to acute changes in patient status or complications and initiates appropriate response.
- Writes routine orders including orders pertaining to admission, discharge, transfer, discharge medications, pre-operative, post-operative, physical therapy, laboratory, diagnostic X-ray, diagnostic nuclear medicine, diet, medications, EKG, blood bank, vascular studies, consultations, operative notes, progress notes, and other specialty specific routines as outlined and supervised by attending surgeons of the service.
- Interpret results from test results as listed above; IV insertion; Foley catheter insertion; drawing blood through central line; arterial blood gas draw; administer authorized medications via IV, IM or SC routes; nasogastric tube insertion; removal of surgical clips, sutures and drains; advance drains per physician order; wound debridement, draw blood cultures; examine and evaluate consultations to the orthopedic service; first, second or third assist in the operating room on orthopedic patients; reduce fractures; reduce dislocations; suture wounds; apply casts and splints; remove casts and splints; repair nail injuries; apply traction; perform intra-articular injections; perform digital, regional and local blocks; assist in obtaining informed consent from patients.
- Performs procedures as needed and directed by specific service needs such as insertion of peripheral IV lines, Foley, removal of sutures, drains application of splints or traction.
- Maintains contact with the attending surgeons of the service on a daily basis reporting patient progress, scheduling and implementation of the plan of care.
- Evaluates and interprets collective data and executes appropriate intervention in collaboration with the physicians as needed.
- Initiates and evaluates independent activities and therapies as defined in the Medical Center and departmental policies
- Provides health education to patients and their families regarding acute care, health maintenance and chronic care conditions
- Collaborates with other team members
- Coordinates and communicates the patient's needs and plan of care to referral providers as needed
- Documents patient assessment, care plan and follow-up in the medical record
- PA or NP licensure required.
- Current Federal DEA and Utah Controlled Substance registrations.
- One to two years of experience in Orthopedics is preferred.
Steward Medical Group offers a comprehensive benefits package, with multiple options to fit your needs.
- Health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
- No deductibles apply to services provided by a Steward provider
- Office visit copays are $0 when a member uses a Steward provider
- Mental health and substance abuse visits have a $0 copay for all in-network providers
- Flex spending
- Life Insurance
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Tuition reimbursement
- with company match
- Paid time off
- Tuition Reimbursement
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.