Under the Direction and Supervision of the Laboratory Manager, the Phlebotomist is responsible for performing venipunctures, collecting specimens, while assuring the integrity of the specimen and the specimen ID. The Phlebotomist may also be responsible for data entry and processing.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Enter patient information and laboratory test orders into the Laboratory LIS, checking all patient demographic and Insurance information.
- Create and maintain Standing Orders, which expire after 6 months.
- Drawing patients and processing all specimens in a timely fashion following laboratory procedures for sample acceptability
- Check rack, matching requisition with specimens, following Specimen Acceptance, Rejection Policy
- Answer phone, looking up results as needed.
- Troubleshoot Reference Lab problems
- Keep area clean and stocked
- Help Phlebotomy and Data Entry when needed
- Help ready Biohazard boxes for pick up, make new boxes
- Check Daily temperature for Processing refrigerator
- Notify Laboratory Manager and/or Laboratory Director regarding specimen or test problems and any complaints
- Must have High School diploma or equivalent
- Phlebotomy Certificate preferred but not required
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.