Patient Service Specialist I
This position is to function as a member of the administration team and complete assigned daily front end tasks to ensure smooth day-today operations in the SMG physician practice. The Patient Service Specialist must maintain a professional, positive manner when talking with patients in-person, over the phone, or via email.
Responsibilities for PSS I:
- Answer calls and routes telephone calls appropriately; takes messages, follows through with each message, ensuring that the appropriate physician/staff member receives the information. Provides routine information to callers and gives only authorized medical advice from a provider.
- Provides a high level of customer service to all new and existing patients of the practice.
- Creates patient cases and documents telephone calls and messages into Athena or other EMR.
- Schedules patient appointments and appropriate testing for patients as requested.
- Registers patients in EMR and verifies information including demographics and obtains accurate health insurance information. Conduct eligibility checks to ensure insurance is reflected accurately.
- Collects required insurance co-pays from patients including any prior balances.
- Follows scheduling notes and direct schedules patient visits in other SMG practices as advised.
- Performs pre-visit planning daily for all upcoming scheduled appointments to include running insurance eligibility.
- Responsible to obtain prior authorizations and/or insurance referrals as per practice need.
- Performs outreach to select patient groups as directed for patient care and quality measurement/guidelines. Schedules specialty appointments/testing as required.
- Performs work in EMR buckets as directed and per practice need.
- Responsible to inform manager of administrative supply needs or assists with ordering.
- Follows up with providers on missing slips and creates claims in Athena.
- Responsible to work assigned revenue cycle buckets as directed.
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision.
- Strong customer service excellence expected.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- One to three years as a medical secretary preferred.
- Experience with EMR strongly preferred. (Athena a plus)
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and Outlook preferred.
About Steward Health Care
Nearly a decade ago, Steward Health Care System emerged as a different kind of health care company designed to usher in a new era of wellness. One that provides our patients better, more proactive care at a sustainable cost, our providers unrivaled coordination of care, and our communities greater prosperity and stability.
As the country's largest physician-led, minority-owned, integrated health care system, our doctors can be certain that we share their interests and those of their patients. Together we are on a mission to revolutionize the way health care is delivered - creating healthier lives, thriving communities and a better world.
Steward is among the nation’s largest and most successful accountable care organizations (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through a closely integrated network of hospitals, multispecialty medical groups, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities and behavioral health centers.
Based in Dallas, Steward currently operates 33 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas.
Steward Health Care is proud to be a minority, physician owned organization. Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are at the foundation of the care we provide, the community services we support and all our employment practices. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.