Patient Service Specialist I
About Steward Health Care
Nearly a decade ago, Steward Health Care System emerged as a different kind of health care company designed to usher in a new era of wellness. One that provides our patients better, more proactive care at a sustainable cost, our providers unrivaled coordination of care, and our communities greater prosperity and stability.
As the country’s largest physician-led, tax paying, integrated health care system, our doctors can be certain that we share their interests and those of their patients. Together we are on a mission to revolutionize the way health care is delivered - creating healthier lives, thriving communities and a better world.
Steward is among the nation’s largest and most successful accountable care organizations (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through a closely integrated network of hospitals, multispecialty medical groups, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities and behavioral health centers.
Based in Dallas, Steward currently operates 39 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah.
For more information, visit www.steward.org.
This position is to function as a member of the administration team and complete assigned daily front end tasks to ensure smooth day-today operations in the SMG physician practice. The Patient Service Specialist must maintain a professional, positive manner when talking with patients in-person, over the phone, or via email.
Responsibilities for PSS I:
- Answer calls and routes telephone calls appropriately; takes messages, follows through with each message, ensuring that the appropriate physician/staff member receives the information. Provides routine information to callers and gives only authorized medical advice from a provider.
- Provides a high level of customer service to all new and existing patients of the practice.
- Creates patient cases and documents telephone calls and messages into Athena or other EMR.
- Schedules patient appointments and appropriate testing for patients as requested.
- Registers patients in EMR and verifies information including demographics and obtains accurate health insurance information. Conduct eligibility checks to ensure insurance is reflected accurately.
- Collects required insurance co-pays from patients including any prior balances.
- Follows scheduling notes and direct schedules patient visits in other SMG practices as advised.
- Performs pre-visit planning daily for all upcoming scheduled appointments to include running insurance eligibility.
- Responsible to obtain prior authorizations and/or insurance referrals as per practice need.
- Performs outreach to select patient groups as directed for patient care and quality measurement/guidelines. Schedules specialty appointments/testing as required.
- Performs work in EMR buckets as directed and per practice need.
- Responsible to inform manager of administrative supply needs or assists with ordering.
- Follows up with providers on missing slips and creates claims in Athena.
- Responsible to work assigned revenue cycle buckets as directed.
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision.
- Adheres to SMG policies.
- Always uses discretion to ensure patient confidentiality.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Strong customer service excellence expected.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- One to three years as a medical secretary preferred.
- Experience with EMR strongly preferred. (Athena a plus)
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and Outlook preferred.
About Steward Health Care
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.
This position is subject to the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for Steward Health Care Workforce. Employees in this position will be required to provide adequate proof of vaccination for COVID-19 by an FDA-approved vaccine prior to starting work. Steward will consider requests for exemptions from this vaccine requirement on the basis of medical condition or sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable Federal laws.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Steward Health Care is proud to be a minority, physician owned organization. Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are at the foundation of the care we provide, the community services we support and all our employment practices. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 130789