Patient Service Specialist I
Skills and Minimum Requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent - required
- 1 to 3 years as a medical secretary - preferred
- Schedule M-Th 8am-5pm, Fri 8am-12pm
- Strong customer service excellence - required
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills - required
- Experience with EMR strongly preferred. (Athena a plus)
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and Outlook- preferred
Benefits of Working for Steward Medical Group:
- Medical Assistant Loan Repayment Program up to $12,000
- Pursue your passion with our Career Ladder Growth Plans
- Tuition reimbursement
- Generous paid time off
- 401(K) retirement saving plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Short- and long-term disability
- Competitive and affordable medical, dental, and vision insurance
About the Role:
This position is to function as a member of the administration team and complete assigned daily front end tasks to ensure smooth day to day operations in the SMG physician practice. The Patient Service Specialist must maintain a professional, positive manner when talking with patients in-person, over the phone, or via email.
- Answers calls and routes telephone calls appropriately; takes messages, follows through with each message, ensuring that the appropriate physician/staff member receives the information. Provides routine information to callers and gives only authorized medical advice from a provider.
- Provides a high level of customer service to all new and existing patients of the practice.
- Creates patient cases and documents telephone calls and messages into Athena or other EMR.
- Schedules patient appointments and appropriate testing for patients as requested.
- Registers patients in EMR and verifies information including demographics and obtains accurate health insurance information. Conduct eligibility checks to ensure insurance is reflected accurately.
- Collects required insurance co-pays from patients including any prior balances.
- Follows scheduling notes and direct schedules patient visits in other SMG practices as advised.
- Performs pre-visit planning daily for all upcoming scheduled appointments to include running insurance eligibility.
- Responsible to obtain prior authorizations and/or insurance referrals as per practice need.
- Performs outreach to select patient groups as directed for patient care and quality measurement/guidelines. Schedules specialty appointments/testing as required.
- Performs work in EMR buckets as directed and per practice need.
- Responsible to inform manager of administrative supply needs or assists with ordering.
- Follows up with providers on missing slips and creates claims in Athena.
- Responsible to work assigned revenue cycle buckets as directed.
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision.
- Adheres to SMG policies.
- Always uses discretion to ensure patient confidentiality.
- Performs other duties as requested.
About Steward Health Care
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
1. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
2. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
3. A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 102154