Patient Service Specialist I
This position is to function as a member of the administration team and complete assigned daily front end tasks to ensure smooth day-to-day operations in the SMG physician practice. The Patient Service Specialist must maintain a professional, positive manner when talking with patients in-person, over the phone, or via email.
Responsibilities for PSS I:
- Answer calls and routes telephone calls appropriately; takes messages, follows through with each message, ensuring that the appropriate physician/staff member receives the information. Provides routine information to callers and gives only authorized medical advice from a provider.
- Provides a high level of customer service to all new and existing patients of the practice.
- Creates patient cases and documents telephone calls and messages into Athena or other EMR.
- Schedules patient appointments and appropriate testing for patients as requested.
- Registers patients in EMR and verifies information including demographics and obtains accurate health insurance information. Conduct eligibility checks to ensure insurance is reflected accurately.
- Collects required insurance co-pays from patients including any prior balances.
- Follows scheduling notes and direct schedules patient visits in other SMG practices as advised.
- Performs pre-visit planning daily for all upcoming scheduled appointments to include running insurance eligibility.
- Responsible to obtain prior authorizations and/or insurance referrals as per practice need.
- Performs outreach to select patient groups as directed for patient care and quality measurement/guidelines. Schedules specialty appointments/testing as required.
- Performs work in EMR buckets as directed and per practice need.
- Responsible to inform manager of administrative supply needs or assists with ordering.
- Follows up with providers on missing slips and creates claims in Athena.
- Responsible to work assigned revenue cycle buckets as directed.
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision.
- Adheres to SMG policies.
- Always uses discretion to ensure patient confidentiality.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Strong customer service excellence expected.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- One to three years as a medical secretary preferred.
- Experience with EMR strongly preferred. (Athena a plus)
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and Outlook preferred.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.
About Steward Health Care System:
Steward Health Care’s physician-led model was created to provide patient’s access to the highest-quality care at a sustainable cost, providing personalized, and coordinated ongoing medical services that positively impact patients’ physical, emotional, and mental well-being.
Founded in 2010, Steward Health Care is the nation’s largest accountable care organization (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through its network of hospitals, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities, and behavioral health services. Steward received a perfect 100% quality rating by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Service’s (CMS) Medicare Shared Savings Program (MSSP) in 2020.
Based in Dallas, Steward is the largest private, physician-led health care network and currently operates 39 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.