- Assist with the care of orthopedics patients.
- Apply and remove casts, splints, and other orthopedic devices under the guidance and supervision of attending medical staff.
- Size and apply orthopedic devices to patients, such as: ace wraps, upper and lower extremities braces, boots, wrist splints, post-operative prosthesis, crutches and canes.
- Provide technical assistance and advice concerning casts, splints, braces as directed by the provider. Provide verbal or written cast care instructions to patients, answer any and all questions they may have about their casts, splint, or other orthopedic needs.
- Maintain orthopedic equipment and supplies as directed.
- Responsible for drawing up and preparing injections.
- Manage chart preparation for provider and ensure efficient patient flow during clinic.
- Responsible for assisting with injections under the direct supervision of the orthopedic physicians.
- Promotes safe and effective use of medical equipment and supplies.
- Maintain a sanitary work area to include patient exam rooms, equipment and instruments; reports equipment malfunctions; stock supplies.
- Fill out FMLA and patient forms. Book surgeries for the provider(s) and all diagnostic tests.
- Obtain authorizations for surgeries, tests and visco injections.
- Promptly reports any unusual patient conditions, responses, or concerns to the provider.
- Responsible for completing basic competencies in addition to departmental specific competencies.
- Adheres to policies, procedures and regulations to ensure compliance and patient safety.
- Participation in Compliance and other important training is a condition of employment.
- Graduate of a Medical assistant program and/or Graduate of a training program as Orthopedic Technician
- Orthopedic casting/splinting experience preferred.
About Steward Health Care
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety