St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center, a community-based academic teaching hospital and a major affiliate of Tufts University School of Medicine and Boston University School of Medicine, is seeking an Advanced Practice Provider (PAs and NPs) for clinical coverage of St. Elizabeth’s Medical ICU service. The position includes 130 shifts/year, from 7pm – 7am, Monday-Friday, no holidays. APPs will provide coverage of medical ICU patients with immediate supervision from eICU physicians. The work will also include collaboration with ICU residents and interns. While critical care experience is preferred, appropriate training in the MICU setting as needed is feasible. Duties will include assisting with admissions from the ER, floors, and referring hospitals, assessing and managing decompensating patients, and performing needed procedures, specifically placement of central lines and arterial lines. Additional procedures can be taught. St. Elizabeth’s serves as the tertiary care hospital for Steward’s Massachusetts hospitals and possesses all of the clinical services compatible with that role.
Licensed or license eligible nurse practitioner or physician assistant with at least one year of in-patient critical care experience.
Have both Massachusetts MCR and Federal DEA or eligible for same.
BLS and ACLS certification
Responsibilities and Duties
1. Co-management of a 28 bed, academic, adult intensive care unit with eICU attending as immediate back-up. Shifts will be overnight from 7 pm – 7am.
3. Round on patients and develop over-night care plan, follow-up on lab and imaging studies and order/adjust medication regimens including paralytic agents, vasoactive medications and antibiotics.
4. Admit patients to the ICU from the emergency department, in-patient floors, or referring hospitals.
5. Perform critical care consults and respond to rapid responses and cardiac arrests on med-surg floors.
6. Independently perform procedures including central lines, arterial lines.
7. Interpret EKGs and manage arrhythmias or ischemic events.
8. When applicable, document admission and progress notes.
9. Provide verbal and written morning sign-out to attending and resident staff.
1. Will function as independent provider with eICU oversight in an academic ICU setting.
2. Will report directly to attending physician covering the ICU for direct patient care issues.
3. Will report to the Director of Critical Care APPs for training and education, scheduling and performance reviews.
Qualifications and Skills
Should have prior experience and/or credentialling in the following:
a. Orogastric and Dobhoff tube placement.
c. Ultrasound guided central line placement
d. Arterial line placement
About Steward Health Care
Nearly a decade ago, Steward Health Care System emerged as a different kind of health care company designed to usher in a new era of wellness. One that provides our patients better, more proactive care at a sustainable cost, our providers unrivaled coordination of care, and our communities greater prosperity and stability.
As the country's largest physician-led, minority-owned, integrated health care system, our doctors can be certain that we share their interests and those of their patients. Together we are on a mission to revolutionize the way health care is delivered - creating healthier lives, thriving communities and a better world.
Steward is among the nation’s largest and most successful accountable care organizations (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through a closely integrated network of hospitals, multispecialty medical groups, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities and behavioral health centers.
Based in Dallas, Steward currently operates 33 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas.
Steward Health Care is proud to be a minority, physician owned organization. Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are at the foundation of the care we provide, the community services we support and all our employment practices. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.