The Network Engineer is responsible for implementation and maintenance the Steward Health Care System Data Center network infrastructure. This includes deployment and maintenance of router, switch and wireless hardware and network management server configurations; supporting/troubleshooting network/system problems; coordinating with vendors for installation of network hardware, circuits and systems, and project implementation.
The Network Engineer will work with other network and security engineers, system administrators, systems analysts, support center staff, technicians, vendors, and users relating to applications associated with a production-computing environment.
This position will report to the Manager of Network Engineering and will bring a strong in-depth knowledge of all aspects of Network information systems in a large enterprise. S/he will work together with stakeholders, leadership and subject matter experts to effectively support, design and deploy effective technical solutions that maps to the organization's strategy, processes, information, and information technology assets.
Steward Health Care is a fast paced and rapidly expanding organization. This presents challenges around improving existing technology and processes while evolving the ability of Information Services to deliver enterprise class services to meet the growing needs of our thriving business.
It is imperative to constantly improve day-to-day operations and availability of information while also developing long-term solutions and processes that will ultimately differentiate Steward Health Care from other organizations and provide improvements to our employees, physicians and patients.
The organization will continue to evolve creating a consistent level of change in the environment.
• Responsible for maintaining the Steward network infrastructure. This includes maintaining router, switch, wireless, unified communications hardware and network management server configurations; supporting/troubleshooting network/system problems; coordinating with vendors for installation of network hardware and systems, and project implementation.
• Performs installation and maintenance of network hardware, software, and solutions.
• Recommends hardware and software acquisitions to meet projected demands.
• Participates in network design and architecture decisions.
• Adheres to problem resolution and escalation procedures, documentation, and responding to all related system problems and resolving them on a timely basis.
• Notifies manager of problem areas and develops backup strategy and emergency plans.
• Maintains inventory of network equipment, IP addresses management, service locations, maintenance agreements, and leased lines.
• Keeps abreast of industry trends and changes in network software and hardware technologies in order to improve current service levels.
• Off-hours availability for emergencies and change windows is required.
• Performs regular on-call duties as scheduled.
• Provides support for all facilities including data centers, hospitals campuses and remote locations.
• Acts as a mentor to other team members to help ensure all team members are expanding existing skill sets in to new areas while becoming more proficient in skills already in place.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• Preferred industry certifications include: Cisco, Juniper and F5
• Strong understanding of IP subnetting and routing protocols including BGP, OSPF and EIGRP.
• Ability to deploy and manage complex network LAN/WLAN/MAN/WAN infrastructures.
• Demonstrates a strong understanding of subnetting, variable length subnet masks (VLSM), and virtual LANs (VLAN).
• Understanding of the OSI Model.
• Experience with Cisco network products is required.
• Experience with F5 BigIP Load Balancers is required.
• Experience with one or more firewall platform is required.
• Experience with Cisco ACI is highly desirable.
• Experience with Infoblox DHCP, DNS and IPAM is desirable
• Experience with Linux, Splunk, Nagios, Puppet and/or scripting is highly desirable.
• Ability to prioritize projects and daily work-flow.
• Excellent teamwork and communication skills are required.
• Excellent customer service skills are required.
• Previous experience in health care environment is extremely desirable.
• Must be able to participate in on-call rotation.
• This position will be based out of our Primary Data Center location but occasional travel to other sites both in and out of state may be required. As part of the Network Engineering team, s/he will be expected to assist with support of all Steward Health Care facilities.
• Education: Bachelor's degree preferred.
• Experience (Type & Length): Five years of professional experience in a medium to large size organization with complex network infrastructure is required.
• Certification/Licensure: CCNA Certification is required for consideration.
• Software/Hardware: See required knowledge & skills.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 4801