Steward Health Care is the largest private, tax-paying physician-led health care network in the United States. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward operates 35 hospitals in the United States and the country of Malta that regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The company employs approximately 42,000 health care professionals. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, over 7,900 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
The position is a member of the health care team who functions in a dual role, providing administrative as well as clinical support to ensure quality care to patients and the smooth day-to-day operation of the physician practice. Duties will include, but are not limited to, medical assistant duties, answering telephones, making appointments, verifying patient demographic and health insurance information, coordinating billing and referral processes, assembling patient charts, scheduling, data entry and filing.
Medical Assistant Functions:
• Takes vital signs
• Prepares the patient, equipment and instruments
• Chaperones female patients as needed
• Reports significant observations and patient problems to appropriate care givers
• Cleans instruments and equipment, as needed
• Provides and maintains supplies, equipment and linen for clinical areas
Medical Secretary Functions:
• Answers, triages, and routes telephone calls appropriately; takes messages, follows through with each message, ensuring that the appropriate physician/staff member and received the information. Provides routine information to callers
• Prepares the daily schedules for the office, pulls and prepares the patient charts, ensuring that the proper chart has been selected and the appropriate paperwork has been attached to the chart (i.e., encounter form, etc.)
• Schedules patients' appointments and appropriate testing for patients as directed. Facilitates admissions to hospital
• Verifies information from patients including demographic and health insurance information
• Prepares documents for billing physician encounters; processes referrals as necessary for the practice
• Organizes and updates files, charts, and records
• Checking in patients, collecting copays & preparing batch daily
• Responsible for stocking of supplies and assists in ordering supplies
• Works on Quality initiatives as needed per Practice Manager
• Handles Patient Reminder calls as indicated by Practice Manager
• Possibility of covering in another practice
• Performs other duties as requested
• Education from approved medical assistant program or equivalent
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• 1 to 2 years of experience as a Medical Assistant preferred
• The ability to perform medical secretary duties
• Experience with electronic medical record strongly preferred (Athena a plus)
• Experience with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and Outlook
• Some travel required within the market
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.