Steward Health Care is the largest private, tax-paying physician-led health care network in the United States. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward operates 35 hospitals in the United States and the country of Malta that regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The company employs approximately 42,000 health care professionals. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, over 7,900 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
To function as a member of a team and complete all clinical daily tasks to ensure smooth day to day operations in a busy medical office practice.
Medical Assistant Responsibilities:
- Take vitals when necessary
- Prepare the daily schedules for the office, pull and prepare the patient charts, ensure that the proper chart has been selected and the appropriate paperwork has been attached to the chart (i.e., encounter form, etc.)
- Room placement
- Record patient history, chief complaint, pharmacy info, prescription list, etc. into EMR for physical
- Supply ordering
- Stocking of rooms
- Ordering tests, obtaining prior authorizations
- Requesting and obtaining referrals for patient visits and surgery
- Additional duties as assigned
Medical Scribe Responsibilities:
- Responsible for data entry into the Electronic Medical Record per provider instructions.
- Record a physician-directed patient history of present illness (HPI), past medical history (PMH), family and/or social history and physical examination (PE), including pertinent positives and negatives. Ensures transcription of handwritten or electronic physician notes, including but not limited to: verbal communication from the physician, patient/doctor interactions, physical exam findings, medical decision making, medication orders, laboratory results, radiological reports, clinical reevaluations, consultations and dispositions.
- Record procedures and the results of laboratory tests and radiographic images.
- Improve the efficiency of patient care by assisting the physician with routine matters.
- Serve as an ambassador/liaison between the physician, the patient and the staff.
- Assumes responsibility for other non-clinical assignments such as obtaining old medical records, and locating previous studies.
- Assists with front office duties.
- Answers telephones, forwards telephone messages and under the direction of licensed staff schedules appointments, procedures and diagnostic tests.
- Assists in routine clerical functions such as filing of medical information in patient's records, locating and compiling department charts, obtaining medical records from other providers and entering charges for billing purposes.
- Assists with back office duties when not directly assisting the physician with a patient.
- Prepares patients to be seen by physicians.
- Obtains vital signs and testing as required by the healthcare provider.
- Assists provider with collection, documentation, processing, and verification of information related to patient care in an EMR system.
- Keeps patients informed of wait times and manages visit expectations.
- Maintains cleanliness of clinic areas, exam rooms and medical implements before and after patient use.
- Responsible to set up exam rooms and stock with up to date required supplies for patient care.
- Facilitates timely closing of clinic and follows closing procedures.
- Communicates patient concerns and needs to the healthcare provider timely.
- Completes assigned training and education as required and timely.
- Abides by all applicable Steward Policies and procedures including, but not limited to, safety matters, HIPAA-compliance and patient/computer confidentiality.
- Performs other duties as determined by the Practice Manager or Clinic Director.
- Graduate of a Certified Medical Assistant program required
- 1 to 3 years of experience as a Medical Assistant preferred; however, new graduates welcome
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Experience with electronic medical record (EMR) strongly preferred (Athena/ECW a plus)
- Basic knowledge of medical terminology.
- Preferred candidate would be a medical student, nursing student, paramedic student, medical assistant or EMT.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and Outlook required