Medical Assistant / Patient Service Specialist
- This position is to function as a member of both the clinical and administrative team and complete all assigned daily tasks to ensure smooth day to day operations in the SMG physician practice. The Medical Assistant I /Patient Service Specialist (PSS) I must maintain a professional, positive manner when talking with patients (and all customers) in-person or over the phone or via email.
- Works close with providers to assist in delivering world class care to patients.
- Room’s patients and prepares the patient for the provider visit.
- Takes vital signs as necessary. Responsible for accurate blood pressures, temperature, pulse, pulse oximetry, weight, height, respiratory rates and entering accurately into EMR.
- Record patient history, chief complaint, pharmacy information, prescription list, etc. into EMR for physical.
- Obtains required consents, completes required forms as needed for specific visit types.
- Performs in office testing as needed. Required to perform controls on certain in office tests.
- Performs EKGs as ordered.
- Chaperones Providers as required.
- Administers vaccines and medications as ordered by provider following SMG policies.
- Stocks rooms and monitors expiration of supplies in exam rooms.
- Assists with incoming calls as needed by answering, triaging, and routing telephone calls appropriately as needed.
- Register’s patients in EMR and verifies information including demographics and obtains accurate health insurance information. Conduct eligibility checks to ensure insurance is reflected accurately.
- Schedules patients' appointments and appropriate testing for patients as directed.
- Follows scheduling rules and direct schedules patient visits in other SMG practices.
- Performs pre visit planning daily for all upcoming scheduled appointments.
- Performs outreach to select patient groups as directed for patient care and quality and schedules specialty appointments and testing as required.
- Responsible to inform manager of all clinical or administrative supply needs or assists with ordering.
- Responsible to obtain prior authorizations and/or insurance referrals as per practice need.
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision.
- Adheres to all SMG policies.
- Always uses discretion to ensure patient confidentiality.
- Performs all other duties as requested.
- Strong customer service excellence expected.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Experience with EMR strongly preferred. (Athena a plus)
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and Outlook preferred.
Education & Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Education from approved medical assistant program or equivalent preferred.
- One to three years as a medical assistant preferred.
About Steward Health Care
Nearly a decade ago, Steward Health Care System emerged as a different kind of health care company designed to usher in a new era of wellness. One that provides our patients better, more proactive care at a sustainable cost, our providers unrivaled coordination of care, and our communities greater prosperity and stability.
As the country's largest physician-led, minority-owned, integrated health care system, our doctors can be certain that we share their interests and those of their patients. Together we are on a mission to revolutionize the way health care is delivered - creating healthier lives, thriving communities and a better world.
Steward is among the nation’s largest and most successful accountable care organizations (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through a closely integrated network of hospitals, multispecialty medical groups, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities and behavioral health centers.
Based in Dallas, Steward currently operates 33 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas.
Steward Health Care is proud to be a minority, physician owned organization. Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are at the foundation of the care we provide, the community services we support and all our employment practices. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.