Medical Assistant/Patient Service Spec
Steward Medical Group at Hawthorn Medical Associates is looking for an enthusiastic, dedicated Medical Assistant/Patient Service Specialist to assist in treatment of patients and provide quality in-office patient care in our busy Neurosurgery Department.
The successful candidate will:
- Assist providers with patient care; ensures the patient is properly prepared in all aspects for the providers visit, verifies and obtains relevant information with patient and completes any necessary follow-up that the patient or provider may need. Assists the provider during any in-office procedures. Utilizes all necessary techniques.
- Courteously answers the phone, screens and triages calls appropriately. Receives messages, prescription refill requests and performs other telephone duties as required.
- Be knowledgeable in the operation and condition of all medical devices and equipment used.
- Be knowledgeable regarding all clinical systems, protocols, policies and procedures necessary for the completion of all patient care duties, tasks and responsibilities as required by the department.
- Obtain and prepare laboratory specimens for testing
- Be responsible for cleaning exam/procedure room(s) and maintaining equipment between patients and at the end of the day in accordance with established protocol; document accordingly. Maintain a clean work area; prepare the equipment, patient room(s), and stock supplies or facilitate the reorder of supplies as necessary. Effectively troubleshoot minor problems. Notify appropriate personnel of equipment malfunctions and repairs as needed.
- Execute paperwork as necessary for each patient including updating patient’s electronic medical record (EMR) and follow-up phone calls.
- Coordinates mail processing for office to include: receipt of record releases, copying of records, mailing of records / correspondence, and responding to other general office requests via mail.
- Manages physician schedules by following up on patient no-shows, sending out reminder cards, and/ or providing telephone reminders for office visit in accordance with established protocol.
- Remain flexible with the changing needs of the department and the organization.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Successful completion of a clinical training program, and/or work experience in Medical Assistant capacity
- National certification from AAMA, NMAA or equivalent is a plus and earns a higher rate than non-certified MA’s
- Must be physically capable of lifting linens, supplies, and patients while utilizing proper body mechanics
- CPR Certified
- 2 or more years experience in a medical office practice setting is preferred
We offer you:
- Vacation, holiday and sick time
- Medical, dental, vision and other elective insurances
- Tuition reimbursement
- Medical Assistant educational loan reimbursement
Hawthorn Medical Associates, an affiliate of Steward Health Care, was established in 1970 and is the largest multi-specialty group practice in the Greater New Bedford area. We have many of the area’s finest physicians who practice in our state-of-the-art facilities in a campus-like setting. They are supported by a skilled professional and support staff and together provide high quality, comprehensive medical care to more than 138,000 patients each year.