Medical Assistant/Patient Service Spec
Steward Medical Group at Hawthorn Medical Associates is looking for an enthusiastic, dedicated Medical Assistant/Patient Service Specialist to assist in treatment of patients and provide quality in-office patient care.
The successful candidate will:
- Assist providers with patient care; ensures the patient is properly prepared in all aspects for the providers visit, verifies and obtains relevant information with patient and completes any necessary follow-up that the patient or provider may need. Assists the provider during any in-office procedures. Utilizes all necessary techniques.
- Courteously answers the phone, screens and triages calls appropriately. Receives messages, prescription refill requests and performs other telephone duties as required.
- Be knowledgeable in the operation and condition of all medical devices and equipment used.
- Be knowledgeable regarding all clinical systems, protocols, policies and procedures necessary for the completion of all patient care duties, tasks and responsibilities as required by the department.
- Obtain and prepare laboratory specimens for testing
- Be responsible for cleaning exam/procedure room(s) and maintaining equipment between patients and at the end of the day in accordance with established protocol; document accordingly. Maintain a clean work area; prepare the equipment, patient room(s), and stock supplies or facilitate the reorder of supplies as necessary. Effectively troubleshoot minor problems. Notify appropriate personnel of equipment malfunctions and repairs as needed.
- Execute paperwork as necessary for each patient including updating patient’s electronic medical record (EMR) and follow-up phone calls.
- Coordinates mail processing for office to include: receipt of record releases, copying of records, mailing of records / correspondence, and responding to other general office requests via mail.
- Manages physician schedules by following up on patient no-shows, sending out reminder cards, and/ or providing telephone reminders for office visit in accordance with established protocol.
- Remain flexible with the changing needs of the department and the organization.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Successful completion of a clinical training program, and/or work experience in Medical Assistant capacity
- National certification from AAMA, NMAA or equivalent is a plus and earns a higher rate than non-certified MA’s
- Must be physically capable of lifting linens, supplies, and patients while utilizing proper body mechanics
- CPR Certified
- 2 or more years experience in a medical office practice setting is preferred
We offer you:
- Vacation, holiday and sick time
- Medical, dental, vision and other elective insurances
- Tuition reimbursement
- Medical Assistant educational loan reimbursement
Hawthorn Medical Associates, an affiliate of Steward Health Care, was established in 1970 and is the largest multi-specialty group practice in the Greater New Bedford area. We have many of the area’s finest physicians who practice in our state-of-the-art facilities in a campus-like setting. They are supported by a skilled professional and support staff and together provide high quality, comprehensive medical care to more than 138,000 patients each year.
About Steward Health Care
Nearly a decade ago, Steward Health Care System emerged as a different kind of health care company designed to usher in a new era of wellness. One that provides our patients better, more proactive care at a sustainable cost, our providers unrivaled coordination of care, and our communities greater prosperity and stability.
As the country's largest physician-led, minority-owned, integrated health care system, our doctors can be certain that we share their interests and those of their patients. Together we are on a mission to revolutionize the way health care is delivered - creating healthier lives, thriving communities and a better world.
Steward is among the nation’s largest and most successful accountable care organizations (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through a closely integrated network of hospitals, multispecialty medical groups, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities and behavioral health centers.
Based in Dallas, Steward currently operates 33 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas.
Steward Health Care is proud to be a minority, physician owned organization. Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are at the foundation of the care we provide, the community services we support and all our employment practices. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.