Medical Assistant / Patient Service Spec
The position is a member of the health care team who functions in a dual role, providing administrative as well as clinical support to ensure quality care to patients and the smooth day-to-day operation of the physician practice. Duties will include, but are not limited to, medical assistant duties, answering telephones, making appointments, verifying patient demographic and health insurance information, coordinating billing and referral processes, assembling patient charts, scheduling, data entry and filing.
Medical Assistant Functions:
- Room placement
- Take vital signs and record in chart
- Record patient history, chief complaint, pharmacy info, prescription list, etc. into EMR
- Supply ordering
- Stocking of rooms
- Ordering and scheduling tests
- Obtaining prior authorizations for prescriptions and tests
- Submitting referral authorization requests for specialty appointments
- Faxing reports for uploading to patients’ EMR charts
- Administering vaccinations and injections
- Performing in-house labs, tests and treatments (e.g., A1c, PT/INR, EKG, nebulizer treatment, etc.)
- Front-end administrative support when necessary (e.g., phone triage, appointment scheduling, etc.)
- Additional duties as assigned
Patient Service Specialist Functions:
- Use of AthenaCollector for scheduling patient appointments, including patient registration, and practice billing. Verify patient Insurance eligibility and adding insurance
- Patient scheduling, including canceling and rescheduling appointments
- Patient Check In including providing appropriate paperwork to patient for completion
- Collecting Patient Copays and Balances
- Patient Check out including scheduling follow up and any specialty appointments or imaging as requested
- Completing Day End Activities
- Answers, triages, and routes telephone calls appropriately; takes messages, follows through with each message, ensuring that the appropriate physician/staff member and received the information. Provides routine information to callers
- Verifies information from patients including demographic and health insurance information.
- Performs other duties as requested
• Graduate of a Medical Assistant program required; new students welcome to apply
• High School Diploma or equivalent required
• 2 to 3 years of experience as a Medical Assistant preferred
• Experience as a Medical Secretary preferred
• Experience with electronic medical record (EMR) strongly preferred (Athena a plus)
• Experience with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and Outlook
About Steward Health Care
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.