Medical Assistant I
This position is to function as a member of the clinical team and completes assigned daily clinical operations to ensure smooth day to day operations in the SMG physician practice. The Medical Assistant I must maintain a professional, positive manner when talking with patients (and all customers) in-person, over the phone or via email.
- Works closely with providers to assist in delivering world class care to patients.
- Provides a high level of customer service to all new and existing patients of the practice.
- Rooms patient and prepares the patient for the provider visit.
- Takes vital signs as necessary. Responsible for accurate blood pressures, temperature, pulse, pulse oximetry, weight, height, respiratory rates and entering accurately into EMR.
- Records patient history, chief complaint, pharmacy information, prescription list, etc into EMR for physical.
- Obtains required consents, completes required forms as needed for specific visit types.
- Performs in office testing and EKGs as needed. Required to perform controls on certain in-office tests.
- Assists provider with in-office medical procedures.
- Properly labels all specimens, adhering to SMG policy.
- Chaperones Providers as required.
- Administers vaccines and medications as ordered by provider, adhering to SMG policies.
- Responsible to follow TCM (Transitional Care Management), CCM (Chronic Care Management) and RPM (Remote Patient Monitoring) workflows if active in the practice.
- Stocks rooms and monitors expiration dates of exam room supplies.
- Monitors and logs medication/vaccine refrigerator temperatures.
- Assists with incoming calls as needed by answering, triaging, and routing telephone calls appropriately as needed.
- Follows scheduling rules and direct schedules patient visits in other SMG practices.
- Reviews schedules (clinical pre-visit review) to ensure the provider has what the patient visit is for. Example: results, consult notes, hospital notes etc. If not available, contacts facility or other practice to obtain them.
- Schedules patient appointments and appropriate testing as ordered by provider upon check out from appointments or any other time as requested.
- Performs outreach to select patient groups as directed for patient care and quality and then schedules specialty appointments and testing as required.
- Responsible to inform manager of clinical supply needs or assists with ordering.
- Responsible to obtain prior authorizations and/or insurance referrals as per practice need.
- Works assigned clinical buckets timely.
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision.
- Adheres to SMG policies.
- Always uses discretion to ensure patient confidentiality.
- Strong customer service excellence expected.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Experience with EMR strongly preferred. (Athena preferred but not required)
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and Outlook preferred.
Education & Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Education from approved medical assistant program or equivalent.
- One to three years as a medical assistant preferred.
About Steward Health Care
Nearly a decade ago, Steward Health Care System emerged as a different kind of health care company designed to usher in a new era of wellness. One that provides our patients better, more proactive care at a sustainable cost, our providers unrivaled coordination of care, and our communities greater prosperity and stability.
As the country’s largest physician-led, tax paying, integrated health care system, our doctors can be certain that we share their interests and those of their patients. Together we are on a mission to revolutionize the way health care is delivered - creating healthier lives, thriving communities and a better world.
Steward is among the nation’s largest and most successful accountable care organizations (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through a closely integrated network of hospitals, multispecialty medical groups, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities and behavioral health centers.
Based in Dallas, Steward currently operates 39 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah.
For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Steward Health Care is proud to be a minority, physician owned organization. Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are at the foundation of the care we provide, the community services we support and all our employment practices. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 135646