Medical Assistant I
This position is to function as a member of the clinical team and completes assigned daily clinical operations to ensure smooth day-to-day operations in the SMG physician practice. The Medical Assistant I must maintain a professional, positive manner when talking with patients (and all customers) in-person, over the phone or via email.
Responsibilities for Medical Assistant I
- Works closely with providers to assist in delivering world-class care to patients.
- Provides a high level of customer service to all new and existing patients of the practice.
- Rooms patient and prepares the patient for the provider visit.
- Takes vital signs as necessary. Responsible for accurate blood pressures, temperature, pulse, pulse oximetry and entering accurately into EMR.
- Records patient history, chief complaint, pharmacy information, prescription list, etc. into EMR for physical.
- Obtains required consents, completes required forms as needed for specific visit types.
- Performs in office testing and EKG’s as needed. Required to perform controls on certain in-office tests.
- Assists provider with in-office medical procedures.
- Properly labels all specimens, adhering to SMG policy.
- Chaperones Providers as required.
- Administers vaccines and medications as ordered by provider, adhering to SMG policies.
- Responsible to follow TCM (Transitional Care Management), CCM (Chronic Care Management) and RPM (Remote Patient Monitoring) workflows if active in the practice.
- Stock rooms and monitors expiration dates of exam room supplies.
- Monitors and logs medication/vaccine refrigerator temperatures.
- Assists with incoming calls as needed by answering, triaging, and routing telephone calls appropriately as needed.
- Follows scheduling rules and direct schedules patient visits in other SMG practices.
- Review schedules (clinical pre-visit review) to ensure the provider has what the patient visit is for. Example: results, consult notes, hospital notes etc. If not available, contacts facility or other practices to obtain them.
- Schedules patient appointments and appropriate testing as ordered by provider upon check out from appointments or any other time as requested.
- Performs outreach to select patient groups as directed for patient care and quality and then schedules specialty appointments and testing as required.
- Responsible to inform manager of clinical supply needs or assists with ordering.
- Responsible to obtain prior authorizations and/or insurance referrals as per practice need.
- Works assigned clinical buckets timely.
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision.
- Adheres to SMG policies.
- Always uses discretion to ensure patient confidentiality.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Strong customer service excellence expected.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Education from approved medical assistant program or equivalent.
- One to three years as a medical assistant preferred.
- Experience with EMR strongly preferred. (Athena preferred but not required)
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and Outlook preferred.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.
About Steward Health Care System:
Steward Health Care’s physician-led model was created to provide patient’s access to the highest-quality care at a sustainable cost, providing personalized, and coordinated ongoing medical services that positively impact patients’ physical, emotional, and mental well-being.
Founded in 2010, Steward Health Care is the nation’s largest accountable care organization (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through its network of hospitals, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities, and behavioral health services. Steward received a perfect 100% quality rating by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Service’s (CMS) Medicare Shared Savings Program (MSSP) in 2020.
Based in Dallas, Steward is the largest private, physician-led health care network and currently operates 39 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.