Manager, Coding - 8:00am-4:30pm
Responsible overseeing work-flow of Certified HIM analyst team to facilitate efficient completion of coding needs for Steward sites and ensure compliance with corporate coding procedure. Provides the necessary leadership and management skills to effectively supervise personnel and achieve established department objectives in accordance with Steward's fiscal goals. Supports the Corporate Coding Director and exemplifies Steward's standards of behavior. Monitors productivity and scheduling of staff. Identifies and moderates employee questions. Streamlines coding procedures and controls expenses within the department. As the leader, the Manager will be empowered to make departmental decisions in the absence of the System Director, HIM Coding as needed.
* Aids in recruitment, onboarding, performance management of the Certified Analytic Team and oversees the daily operations of the team under the direction of the System Director.
* Formulates and implements a viable operating plan in collaboration with Steward Facilities HIM Management teams based on the needs coding of the sites.
* Under the direction of the System Director, assists the Certified HIM Analyst team with coding questions and procedures.
* Trains new Certified HIM Analysts as appropriate.
* Prepares work schedules, establish priorities, adjusts schedules in response to changes in workload or staff shortages.
* Assesses systems to determine effectiveness and efficiency, and as necessary devises new methods or modifies current systems to meet new conditions.
* Works with System Director and HIM Executive Director in standardization of coding processes for the system.
* Communicates changes or updates in procedures with Certified HIM Analyst Team.
* Supports training program for new employees by coaching assigned new employees on work flow, systems, and performance standards.
* Promotes effective working relationships and works effectively as part the team, collaborates with HIM leadership.
* Other assignments as required to support Steward Revenue Operations.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
* Adaptability - maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; able to adapt to change in environment and/or circumstances with a positive outlook; and adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
* Initiative - independently takes prompt proactive steps towards problem resolution.
* Effective Decision Making - able to gather facts, assess all perspectives and weigh different possibilities in order to influence positive outcomes.
* Managing conflict - dealing effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; using appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
* Productivity- consistently maintaining high levels of activity or productivity; sustaining long working hours when necessary; operates with vigor, effectiveness, and determination over extended periods of time.
* Stress tolerance - maintaining stable performance under pressure or opposition; handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and the organization.
* Organization - proactively prioritizes initiatives, effectively manages resources and keen ability to multi-task.
* Communication - communicates clearly, proactively and concisely with all key stakeholders.
* Work Independently - is self-supporting; not needing to rely on others to complete a job.
Must have a least 2-5 years of coding experience within an acute care setting, including all areas of coding (Inpatient, outpatient, emergency room, ancillary/clinic coding).
* Thorough knowledge and significant experience in ICD10/CPT4 coding, DRG assignment, APC assignment, PPS payment systems and CMS compliance issues.
- An active member of the American Health Information Management Association
- Experience with coding software, including groupers, editors, optimizers and encoders
Education: Degree in Health Information Technology required.
Experience: 2-5 years of coding experience within an acute care setting, including all areas of coding (Inpatient, outpatient, emergency room, ancillary/clinic coding).
Certification/Licensure: Must have certification as a Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) and either a RHIA or RHIT are required.
Software/Hardware: Experience with Meditech, 3M, and Microsoft Office Word and Excel is required
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 100022417