Manager, Applications - IS Applications
Perform a wide variety of duties including but not limited to project management, analysis, design, testing, documentation, training, report writing and daily user support. Ability to interpret and develop project plans, functional/operational specifications, flowcharts, input and output specifications (including file structures and record layouts). Determine and accommodate the impact of various system changes on users, automated or manual, troubleshoot various problems and respond to user department needs. Interact with all level of users throughout the organization to clarify and verify requirements at all stages of analysis, design, and implementation. The position consults closely with healthcare system staff, software vendor representatives and Information Services Department staff. The Applications Manager is responsible for the performance and growth of 5-10 application analysts. The Applications Manager will direct and motivate staff members to achieve the goals of the group as well as the company as a whole.
* The principal accountability of this position is to provide day to day support for analyst staff for clinical, administrative or financial applications. In addition to management responsibilities, this role is expected to be a strong applications expert in some of the applications for that team, and to take the lead on application projects and critical issues as an individual contributor.
* Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers, and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards.
* The principal accountability of this position is to provide day to day support for analyst staff for clinical or administrative and financial applications. This includes coordinating daily work, prioritizing work requests for analysts, mentoring junior staff on new processes and techniques for the application [s] and functioning as a lead analyst when necessary by taking on additional projects and tasks as a member or leader of a project team.
* Analyst Staff reports directly to this position
* Delegates responsibility for projects and tasks to members of the Applications Team relating to system design, implementation, and support
* Confers with the Project Management Office [PMO] hospital directors and directors involved with new system implementations and system upgrades to assist in finding solutions by reviewing and validating functional specifications, identifying resources and establishing a team to implement the solution.
* Establishes application work plans and staff requirements for each phase of a project, and arranges for recruitment and assignment of project personnel
* Maintains overall application support and works closely with STEWARD HEALTH CARE Technology Team, and application vendors to ensure maximum up time for mission critical applications
* Carries out responsibilities in accordance with STEWARD HEALTH CARE policies and standards.
* Shall be accountable for maintaining the confidentiality and security of all administrative, financial and clinical data
* Maintains current applications and system security and enhances security measures by implementing new products, functionality and standards
* Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers, and patients
* Participates in interviewing and hiring, training employees, and performance appraisals
* Provides comprehensive project coordination of Enterprise, Hospital, Departmental, and IS initiatives.
* Interacts closely with key healthcare staff including senior management to identify project scope and key milestones and deliverables
* Develops project plan utilizing recognized project management methodology including:
* Requirements definition
* System definition
* System testing/quality assurance
* Implementation and post LIVE support
* Acts as a leader and monitors detailed project work-plan and assures that all tasks are performed in a complete and timely manner.
* Conducts regular status meeting and reports milestones and progress to IS management and other team members as required.
* Gathers data needed to populate system profiles, master files and dictionaries to design input/output requirements.
* Prepares documentation, work-flow charts, and diagrams to specify operations to be performed by either programs or manually by personnel within the system.
System Analysis and Development:
* Participates in the identification and resolution of complex application problems and procedures, suggesting and coordinating solutions to identified problems. Activities include:
* Investigation of system issues and concerns from users.
* Discrimination between user error/education vs. system problem.
* Reporting system problems.
* Communication and follow up with system vendor or programmer analyst.
* Able to execute independently or coordination of resulting program fix; and verification of proper system functionality.
* Responsible for testing or coordination of resulting program fix; and verification of proper system functionality.
* Consults with personnel; analyzes and organizes clinical, financial and administrative work-flow, utilizing flow charts to identify problems or opportunities for system improvement
* Conducts systems analysis pertaining to development of new information systems to determine current and projected needs
* Independently reviews, analyzes and modifies programming systems (including encoding, testing, debugging and installing) to support hospital application systems.
* Proficiency utilizing the Hospital Information System programming code to perform the following:
* Intermediate Report Writing
* Rules Building
* Database Development
* Screen Generators
* Develops and maintains scripting programs utilizing hospital supported scripting tools
Issue Tracking and Reporting:
* Uses software vendor tracking systems to report and monitor resolution of software irregularities and custom programming requests.
* Uses internal issue tracking system to monitor and document resolution of system user issues, questions and requests.
* Responsible for routine communication to customers, department heads and project team members on issues, project status, software enhancements/fixes.
* Maintains a collaborative working relationship with department leaders.
* Schedules department meetings on the various STEWARD HEALTH CARE hospital campuses and at various remote locations providing on-site training, troubleshooting and consulting.
* Responsible for responding to issues, questions and requests related to information systems on the computer network.
* Assures follow up and timely resolution.
* Educates customers on industry news.
Training and Education:
* Develops training material and agendas.
* Conducts core group and end user training classes and/or presentations as required.
* Performs in-house technical training for other IS staff as required.
* Provides assistance to junior staff on project management techniques
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
* In depth understanding of the Healthcare Industry
* Must demonstrate strong analytical, organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
* Must demonstrate project management experience.
* Must have a working knowledge of relational databases and client server concepts.
* Strong verbal and interpersonal skills
* Strong analytical, problem-solving skills
* Ability to cooperatively and effectively work with people from all organizational levels and build consensus through negotiation and diplomacy and STEWARD HEALTH CAREC goals
* Ability to manage a project, its dependencies, team members, other resources and timeline; and to prioritize and delegate accordingly
* Ability to facilitate and work within a complex, multi-site environment.
* Must possess strong teaching skills
* Ability to understand the work environment and competing priorities in conjunction with developing/meeting project goals
I. Education: Bachelor's Degree in health related field or Information Systems
II. Experience: 3-5 years' senior level information systems application experience with MEDITECH in a healthcare setting. Significant experience working in a complex health care organization and deploying systems to support business needs
IV. Superior knowledge of MEDITECH technology strategy, direction, products, services, and customers. Knowledge of PC applications, e.g., Microsoft Office Suite and Project, PowerPoint preferred
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 41783