Lead Ultrasound Technologist
Location: Steward Medical Group - North
Posted Date: 1/28/2021
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Operates ultrasound imaging equipment to obtain diagnostic images and information. In doing so, ensures the patient is properly prepared, obtains a relevant patient history and assures proper positioning. Selects proper imaging techniques and follows department protocols in order to provide a complete study for the exam requested. Provides complete documentation of the exam and provides the Radiologist with an initial interpretation.
- Correlates medical history with test required and decides the correct performance of examination.
- When supplied medical history is not adequate, the technologist will proceed with telephone communication to the ordering physician regarding the exam, patient history, and/or other relevant information required to perform the exam.
- Shows ability to prioritize duties. Adjusts and revises workload as necessary in view of fluctuations in patient workload.
- Explains the exam to the patient taking into consideration the physical and emotional needs. Follows HIPPA standards to maintain patient privacy and disclosure of protected patient information.
- Must be able to communicate calmly, compassionately and professionally with all types of patients as well as associates. Uses independent judgment in pressure situations to obtain proper outcome.
- Maintains a clean work area, prepares the equipment, patient room, and stocks supplies. Informs appropriate personnel when orders need to be placed in a timely manner.
- Remain flexible in all shift coverage and overtime situations, as they become necessary.
- Verifies operation of all ultrasound equipment to be used during the work day. Notifies appropriate personnel of equipment malfunctions and repairs as needed.
- Utilizes aseptic sterile technique as necessary for any invasive procedures. Able to assist the Radiologist during any such procedures. Maintains all supplies needed for these procedures in a clean and organized manner.
- Maintain effective working relations and communication with departmental and other Hawthorn Medical personnel as well as various community interactions as appropriate to the position.
- Demonstrates competency in all RIS applications. Especially pertaining to patient exam status and tracking. Edit any/all examinations in RIS prior to radiologist dictation.
- Follow all PACS workflow procedures for quality, proper identification and completeness of examination requested.
- Executes paperwork as necessary for each patient exam, including but not limited to CPT codes and checking all Physician order sheets prior to the patient exam.
- Remain current on developments and trends in imagine techniques, procedures, and equipment by reading manuals and technical journals. Participates in educational programs, maintain CEU’s that meet State and National guidelines. Attend staff meetings and in service education programs.
- May be called upon to oversee and instruct various personnel and students as assigned and deemed necessary by the Imaging Supervisor.
- Registered by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers and/or ARRT in Sonography.
- Five (5) years of Ultrasound experience preferred.
- Current BLS certification.