- Provides direct care to patients and makes necessary judgments to ensure best practice in patient care.
- Responsible for systematically assessing the health care needs of patients for the formulation of a care plan, its implementation and evaluation. Includes checking patient vitals, discussing symptom management and answering any questions.
- Mixes medications, including chemotherapy, according to standard procedure of the practice.
- Review patient lab work to ensure appropriate levels prior to administering medications.
- Administer medications to patient and monitor for any drug reaction/side effects.
- Perform maintenance of patient IV’s, equipment, etc.
- Provide education/resources to patients pertaining to referrals, nutrition, support groups, etc.
- Order all medications for the practice and conduct inventory of medications.
- Participate in ongoing internal and external education to ensure appropriate knowledge base of medications/administering of medications.
- At times, will perform administrative functions within the practice:
- Process insurance co-payments
- Process authorization to order medications
- Assist with scheduling of patients
- Triage of patients
- Running billing reports
- Education: Graduate from an accredited Nursing Program required. Bachelor’s degree in nursing strongly preferred.
- Experience: 1-3 years related work experience. Experience in chemotherapy and biologic medication administration.
- Certifications: ONS/Biotherapy Mixing Certification required.
- Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation.
- Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills base on general precedents.
- Ability to set priorities and organize work with general guidelines.
- Ability to see assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with internal and external customers.
- Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows.
- Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented and respectful manner.
About Steward Health Care
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.