The position is a member of the healthcare team who functions in a multi-faceted role providing clinical as well as administrative support to ensure quality patient care and the smooth day-to-day operation of the cardiac rehabilitation program. Duties would include, but are not limited to, developing, coordinating and implementing exercise-related programs, overseeing patients during exercise, answering phones, scheduling appointments, verifying insurance information, obtaining referrals/prior authorizations, billing, data entry and filing.
Under the general supervision of the Medical Director and Practice Manager of Cardiac Rehabilitation and within the established Steward Medical Group (SMG) policies and procedures and all applicable laws, the Exercise Physiologist performs the following functions to include but not limited to:
Exercise Physiologist Responsibilities:
To include but not limited to:
- Ability to design and implement individualized exercise prescription for patients based on risk stratification, patient history, functional ability and patient goals while ensuring that treatment plans are in accordance with AACVPR and ACSM guidelines
- Performs daily patient assessments regarding exercise capacity and adapts the exercise prescription based on that assessment
- Safely supervises multiple patients using various pieces of equipment
- Recognizes symptom changes/signs of complications and responds efficiently and appropriately
- Evaluates patient’s need for lifestyle modification based on a thorough assessment of risk factors and lifestyle behaviors. Able to measure achievement related to patient goals and outcomes
- Participates in the development of educational materials/presentations for patients and/or family members
- Provides appropriate and pertinent education to patient and/or family members regarding aspects of cardiac diseases
- Documents and provides feedback on patient progress. Prepares and maintains required reports and statistics
- Demonstrates the ability to use and operate all exercise equipment safely and according to manufacturer’s specifications
- Checks and cleans exercise equipment on a weekly basis and documents weekly checks
- Maintains equipment in optimal working condition and reports problems to appropriate individuals
- Monitors ECG telemetry
- Serves as a consultant to staff in area(s) of expertise
- Assists the Medical Director and other staff with program compliance, benchmarking and performance improvement
To include but not limited to:
- Maintains a constant state of readiness relative to regulatory bodies
- Responsible for all areas of professional billing
- Assists the Medical Director in the development and maintenance of policies and procedures regarding office management through regular meetings with the Medical Director, Director and Practice Manager of Cardiac Rehabilitation and staff
- Demonstrates the ability to perform multiple tasks as required
- Answers, triages and directs telephone calls appropriately; takes messages and follows through with each message ensuring that the appropriate team member has received and responded to the message
- Schedules appointments and appropriate testing for patients as directed
- Coordinates care of patients throughout the cardiac rehabilitation process
- Provides administrative support to the physician as it pertains to cardiac rehabilitation
- Responsible for ensuring that referrals and/or prior authorization is in place prior to appointment(s)
- Responsible for administrative workflow of the patients from check-in through check-out, as directed
- Additional duties as assigned
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, family, visitors and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible and courteous environment
- Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all patients, family, visitors and fellow employees
- Monitors the continuity of operational systems, procedures and service standards
- Provides superior customer service to all patients, family and visitors
- Performs duties in a cost-effective manner and with a high level of service
- Evaluates new products and equipment for use within the department
- Promotes leadership, teamwork and professionalism within the organization by action and example
- Develops interdisciplinary relationships that foster effective planning, teamwork, mutual respect, collaboration and integration of services with other departments and physicians for coordinated provision of services and support of patient care
- Participates in department quality improvement programs
- Communicates effectively with the team through daily conversation, emails and/or telephone
- Corresponds with the Medical Director and/or Practice Manager on a near daily basis providing updates on daily operations
- Reports problems, issues and patient/physician concerns to the Medical Director and/or Practice Manager
- Reports any unusual occurrences related to patients, staff, equipment or other departmental related questions/concerns directly to the Medical Director and/or Practice Manager
- Reports serious incidents and/or breaches in quality of care of regulatory compliance to the Medical Director and/or Practice Manager
- Reports immediately to the Medical Director and/or Practice Manager any deviation from normal operations
- Accountable for maintaining the confidentiality and security of all hospital related, medical staff related and patient related data and protected health information (PHI). Accesses only the minimum necessary PHI for performance of job duties. Follows HIPAA
- or of Science degree in Exercise Physiology required, Masters preferred
- Experience: 1-3 years cardiac rehabilitation experience required. Basic ECG monitoring and interpretation skills
- Other: Basic Life Support (BLS) required. Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) required within orientation period (90 days). AACVPR certification preferred
- Sufficient computer skills to perform duties (Microsoft Office, Excel and Outlook)
- Well-versed in medical terminology
- Critical thinking and the ability to effectively manage emergent situations
- Ability to work independently and take initiative in completing tasks
- Demonstrates superior customer service skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage a variety of tasks
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Experience with electronic medical records. Athena preferred
About Steward Health Care
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.