Responsible for managing the overall aspects of the Enterprise Master Patient Index (EMPI) as it relates to patient accuracy and integrity within the Steward Network which ultimately improves the patient identity of downstream applications and health Information Exchanges.
Efforts to include, but not limited to; reduce/eliminate MPI duplicates, overlays and perform account merges/unmerges; perform quality assurance tasks with the ongoing identification of issues concerning EMPI processes.
Additionally, he/she will work as a liaison between HIM, Patient Access, Clinical Areas and Information Systems related to all EMPI processes including patient integrity. Perform system functions as needed and train staff within the utilized applications. He/She will participate in SDL (software development lifecycle) including gathering user requirements, specification build, testing of system changes and system go lives. On-call may be occasionally required.
- Works with Patient Access and HIM Directors in planning, developing and directing activities related to the maintenance and integrity of the EMPI.
- Have a general understanding of departmental operations as it relates to Steward’s various registration systems, MPI’s, clinical results, financial workflows and other applicable processes.
- Coordinate polices and service level agreements with senior leadership while implementing them into daily work routines.
- Perform system evaluations including the testing of new releases and system changes.
- Complies with HIPAA regulations and Steward Confidentiality agreements in maintaining patient privacy.
- Use problem solving and analytical skills to identify patient discrepancies and execute pre-determined steps to remediate i.e. Update patient demographics with latest data.
- Responsible for cross site merges and unmerges within the Steward network and the reporting of statistical data as it relates to patient duplicates.
- Acts as a resource to MPI coordinator staff within the Steward network assisting in problem resolution.
- Responsible for identification of potential medical records requiring “linking” and performing that function within a specified timeframe as defined in the SOP.
- Compares data between different locations and disparate systems and links patient records that are determined to be the same person.
- Work with limited supervision and provide work status updates and identify risks and issues in a timely manner to management.
- Function as an individual contributor and as a team player fostering relationships with internal teams, affiliate groups and community practices.
Required Knowledge & Skills:
- Working knowledge of Patient Mastering or MDM software. Experience with IB InfoSpere or Initiate preferred.
- Experience with Information Systems (Preferred: Meditech, Cerner, Athena)
- Working knowledge of MPI, Patient Access, Medical Records and IS practices
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills
- Highly effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Effectively balance competing workloads and prioritize tasks in order to meet deadlines
- Strong PC skills required, working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and experience with practice management systems.
- Ability to be flexible, versatile and adaptable in a fast paced health care network
- I. Education: BA/BS preferred
- II. Experience: 1+ years of experience with degree or 5 plus years of related working experience in lieu of education
- III. Credentials: RHIA or RHIT Credential
- Software: Experience with hospital and/or practice management software with a strong preference for MEDITECH, Cerner and Athena. Experience with EMPI with IBM InfoSphere (Initiate) preferred.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 3514