Director, Emergency Medicine
Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where our patients live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operates 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
The Director of Emergency Medicine will oversee all Emergency Medicine departments in the Massachusetts region working in close collaboration with EM senior leadership.
• Responsible for all division revenues, exceeding $50 Million annually
• Manage all division expenses, over $50 Million annually
• Accountability for more than 150 Physicians, Advanced Practitioners, and Staff.
• Directly support the Vice President of Emergency Medicine as well as the individual department Chairs on business and administrative matters
• Oversee provider recruiting, contracting, and onboarding
• Lead annual budget development and submission
• Responsible for successful completion of Projects and New Initiatives
• Provide expert analysis that will inform sound business decisions
• Primary liaison to SMG Human Resources, responsible for managing personnel issues of clinical and non-clinical staff
• Partner with Senior Leaders, to develop and execute strategic plans
• Manage key vendor relationships and ensure vendor performance, specifically outside billing vendors
• Develop and maintain an infrastructure and culture that promotes physician relations and physician retention
• Establish standards and best practices within specialties across markets
• Provide expert advice and counsel to VP’s, Division Chairs, and Senior Leadership
• Provide leadership and team building of non-clinical division staff, responsible for creating a positive and productive work environment
• Direct and indirect supervision of staff
• Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to analyze operational issues and solve them creatively
• Ability to work independently
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated ability to lead change and work collaboratively with others at all levels of the organization
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required, master’s degree preferred
• 5+ years of experience in health care, Emergency Medicine and/or Physician Practice experience preferred
• 2+ years of management experience
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.