Diabetes Education Coordinator
The Diabetes & Nutrition Program Coordinator is a professional nurse or registered dietician, with CDE credential, who possesses unique clinical knowledge and teaching skills. The program coordinator acts as a role model to clinicians, staff, other health care professionals, and support services and provides consultation in her/his specialty area.
The Diabetes & Nutrition Program Coordinator reports to the Director, Respiratory & Outpatient Services, and the Medical Director of Endocrinology. He/She also collaborates with the Diabetes Program Director at SHCN.
- The Program Coordinator works collaboratively with all members of the health care delivery team to promote quality patient care.
- Must possess exceptional skills in problem-solving techniques, oral and written communication, and leadership skills.
- Supervises ancillary and support staff in the George Tully, MD, Diabetes & Nutrition Center.
- Acts as a liaison between program staff, the Diabetes Advisory Committee and hospital administration.
- Chairperson of the local diabetes education committee, she/he coordinates the annual planning and ongoing program evaluation at the local level and reports to the Regional Diabetes Advisory Committee as required.
- Authority and responsibility to develop and direct the Diabetes Program at St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center and to ensure that the American Diabetes Association Program Recognition standards are met.
- Has the authority and responsibility for selecting, training, orienting, assigning, evaluating, counseling, and terminating departmental staff under her/his supervision.
- Authority to reorganize the department to meet the agreed upon objectives.
- Diabetes education to patients and families/significant others and educate all levels of staff regarding diabetes education.
- Demonstrates commitment to the profession through membership and participation in professional organizations.
- Participates as a guest lecturer to professional and consumer groups as time and interest permit.
- Develops/publishes educational materials for utilization by patients, professionals, and consumer groups.
- Actively participates on committees within the medical center as appropriate.
- Provides input into collaborative group practices as they relate to the care of the diabetic patient and patient referrals to the nutrition program.
- Site Coordinator for persons with Type 1, Type 2, and Gestational Diabetes with continues to meet the American Diabetes Association Recognition requirements. And provides MNT to patients referred with other diagnoses.
- Develop, implement, and revise as indicated all program Policies & Procedures required to meet the ANA Standards of Nursing Practice, The American Diabetes Association Standards of Care, The Joint Commission, The Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics, and other regulatory agencies.
- Develop in collaboration with the marketing department, an effective marketing plan to reach areas physicians and patient customers.
- Collaborate with various departments to develop a plan regarding patient scheduling, insurance referrals, billing/reimbursement issues, and permanent documentation and storage of the medical record.
- Provide overall coordination and management of the daily function, both clinically and administratively of the Diabetes Center.
- Under the direction of the SHCN Diabetes Program Director, design, implement, and evaluate the content and effectiveness of the diabetes self-management training program.
- Maintain ADA Recognition for the diabetes program.
- Works in conjunction with Director on annual and capital budgets.
- Completes performance appraisals on all employees under her/his supervision in a timely manner.
- Education: Graduate of approved nursing school or dietetic school. RN, with current MA license or RD with current MA license and registration., CDE preferred or obtained within 1 year of employment.
- Experience Minimum 5 years clinical experience required. Minimum 2 years of leadership, supervisory experience preferred. Minimum of 3 years of experience in Diabetes specialty.
- Certification/Licensure: RN, CDE preferred or eligible or RD, CDE preferred or eligible
- Software/Hardware: Meditech, Athena
- Competence in diabetes education and self-management skills.
- The ability to analyze complex issues and solve them creatively.
- Strong leadership skills relative to motivating and developing an interdisciplinary team to be successful.
- Ability to make formal presentations relative to, diabetes care, education, and management as well as marketing of the diabetes program.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.
About Steward Health Care System:
Steward Health Care’s physician-led model was created to provide patient’s access to the highest-quality care at a sustainable cost, providing personalized, and coordinated ongoing medical services that positively impact patients’ physical, emotional, and mental well-being.
Founded in 2010, Steward Health Care is the nation’s largest accountable care organization (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through its network of hospitals, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities, and behavioral health services. Steward received a perfect 100% quality rating by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Service’s (CMS) Medicare Shared Savings Program (MSSP) in 2020.
Based in Dallas, Steward is the largest private, physician-led health care network and currently operates 39 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.