COO Hospital, Mountain Vista Medical Center
Chief Operating Officer
Steward Health Care is the largest private, tax-paying physician-led health care network in the United States. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward operates 35 hospitals in the United States and the country of Malta that regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The company employs approximately 42,000 health care professionals. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, over 7,900 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters per year. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah.
Mountain Vista Medical Center, a 178-bed, state-of-the-art hospital located in east Mesa, Arizona, offers comprehensive health care services for a broad range of medical conditions. Mountain Vista is accredited by DNV GL Healthcare, a worldwide leader in quality management. Florence Hospital offers a 20-bed multi-organizational service unit (MOSU) for those that have critical needs such as intensive care and noncritical needs such as med-surg and telemetry.
The Chief Operating Officer position provides the leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure that the organization has the proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people systems in place to effectively grow the organization and to ensure financial strength, operating efficiency, and provide services to the community.
Organizationally, the COO will work collaboratively with the Regional President and Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) to develop and implement the operational and strategic plans. The role requires significant leadership skill and ability. He/she will lead and oversee the development of operating and strategic plans.
- Provide overall leadership, direction and coordination of operations, space, and human resources for Mountain Vista Medical Center and Florence Hospital.
- Monitors and responds to the adequacy and soundness of the organization's financial structure. Provides leadership related to optimization of financial outcomes, service improvement, and market position.
- Oversee development and execution of strategic plans and budget targets into operational action plans, which guide resource allocation and the coordination and direction of personnel; direct operations to achieve the annual operating plan.
- Provide leadership, guidance, support and direction to the department leaders in their fiscal care efforts to ensure optimal use of resources and provide effective service.
- Reviews operating results of the organization, compares them to established objectives, and takes steps to ensure that appropriate results are achieved as desired. Sets objectives to assure continued success, improvements in quality and outcomes, and establishes environment where successful performance is valued.
- Promotes, reinforces and personally demonstrates the operating philosophy, mission CARE vales to all patients, medical staff members, coworkers and the communities the health system serves.
- Works with Hospital's Leadership Team to oversee day to day operations, policy development and regulatory compliance.
- Serves as a visible, accessible and engaged leader to employees.
- Participates in Board, employee, and medical staff meetings as required. Serves as executive representative to system/professional/civic service organizations as directed. Meets with organizations as executive representative as directed. Meets with members of the community as required to promote good community relations.
- Master's Degree in Business Administration, Health Administration, Public Administration or related field.
- Twelve (12) years of progressive operational leadership experience in a hospital or health care system setting or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience effectively managing operations at the Executive level.
- Experience serving as executive representative to professional/civic service organizations.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 22662