Assign ICD, CPT and HCPCS codes to all relevant physician claims. Ensure that E&M levels are accurate and documentation supports appropriate level assigned and medical necessity of service.
- Communicate with providers and practices to ensure all encounter forms are current.
- Disseminate information regarding new codes and/or coding policies either by payer or through regulations.
- Create and maintain department processes and controls according to Professional Coding Standards, CMS Standards, HIPAA, OIG, and the State of Massachusetts as well as national payor coding guidelines as they pertain to professional coding and reimbursement.
- Educate providers and clinical staff through review and education of documentation.
- Champion coding compliance, through Revenue Cycle team utilization of recognized professional references, and adherence to established coding convention and regulation.
- Participate in departmental and physician network performance improvement initiatives.
- Safeguards medical records and preserves the confidentiality of personal health information through the observance of physician network policies pertinent to the release of medical record information, record retention, and HIPAA privacy and security.
- Associate's degree in Health Information Technology or related business degree or equivalent amount of education and experience.
- Current certification as a CPC or CCS-P.
- Specialty coding and auditing.
- Computer literacy of medical information system, records management software, encoders.
- Demonstrated coding (ICD-9-CM and CPT) expertise.
- Understanding of third party reimbursement rules and regulations.
- Experience with encoder software.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Professional interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Attentive to detail and organization.
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.