Clinical Nurse Practitioner
The Cardiology Nurse Practitioner (NP) provides care to patients with acute and chronic cardiovascular conditions including patients undergoing cardiac catheterization procedures and patients admitted to inpatient and observation level of care. The Cardiology NP practice is consistent with established advanced practice guidelines and in accordance with a collaborative practice agreement with a medical staff cardiologist. The Cardiology NP utilizes advanced nursing knowledge to identify, prevent, or solve complex and/or recurring patient care problems. In collaboration with the physician, the NP follows and manages patients enhancing many aspects of patient care including core measures, patient throughput, and efficient coordination of care after discharge. In addition to direct patient assessment and treatment, the Cardiology NP provides consultative services, inter and intradepartmental liaison, education, and clinical performance improvement leadership. The Cardiology NP will incorporate both independent decision-making abilities and collaborate with the physicians, interdisciplinary care team, and leadership to provide expert care to the patients.
- Support efficient management of inpatient and observation patients with known/potential cardiac diagnoses such as chest pain, syncope, dysrhythmias.
- Assure that all cardiac observation patients are seen twice daily
- Assist in arranging for inpatient diagnostic testing and in triaging for the ambulatory site those tests that are not essential for a safe discharge plan
- Assist with initial and follow-up cardiology consult visits under the supervision/ direction of the attending cardiologist
- Assist with the admission and discharge of outpatients presenting for cath lab procedures
- Exercise Stress, Stress Echo and Stress Nuclear Administration
- Responsibilities include:
- Assure timely outpatient follow up for cardiac patients at high risk for readmission
- Provide targeted educational materials and appropriate patient teach-back activities etc
- Augment the hospital’s patient education and discharge planning for patients with CHF who are at risk for readmission.
- Patient teaching
- Management of cath access site issues
- Cath lab assessment for Moderate sedation
- Cath lab pre-procedure assessment
- Discharge planning
- Discharge summary
- Initiating emergency measures
- Ordering and Interpreting Lab and Diagnostic Studies
- Admission History and Physicals
- Participate in on-call assignments and demonstrate flexibility to cover staffing as needed.
- Analyze pertinent clinical data, communicate findings and document information appropriately.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary care team to facilitate a comprehensive plan of care and coordination of resources
- Monitors patient outcomes in accordance with defined standards of patient care
- Identifies system-wide factors contributing to undesirable outcomes, such as complications, increased length of stay, and over-utilization of resources
- Participates in the development of formal and informal educational programs for hospital based staff
- Actively participate in patient safety and clinical process improvement projects
- Administer all medications/procedural sedation according to hospital policy.
- Document according to policies and procedures
- Adhere to hospital policies and procedures; support the mission of the hospital.
- Maintain a safe working environment to include radiation safety/appropriate personal protection attire.
- Communicate effectively with peers, managers, ancillary departments and other customers.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Full command (verbal and written) of the English language.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and critical care operations.
- Demonstrate clinical expertise in creating and maintaining a sterile field.
- Computer skills versatile enough to work on multiple platforms.
- Ability to work in tandem with other NPs and Doctors.
- Ability to maintain records and files.
- Ability to stand for a long period of time.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Requirements include: Completion of Masters program in Adult Acute Care NP or Adult Primary Care NP
- Board certification required from the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners or American Credentialing Center
- MA state license
- At least 3 years of previous experience working in a dedicated cardiology practice or hospital setting.
- Must meet all requirements to be admitted to the Medical Staff at SAH
About Steward Health Care
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.
- Secure privileges to perform exercise stress tests in the hospital (studies to be interpreted by cardiologists)