Chief of Staff, Physician Services
Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where our patients live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operates 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
The Chief of Staff of Physician Services will partner with the Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officers of Steward Medical Group and other senior leaders to drive the company's business expansion efforts and assist in its daily practice management. The Chief of Staff, Physician Services will also identify and implement creative solutions to optimize the clinical and financial performance of new and existing practices and proactively work to ensure that presentations, initiatives, and top priorities are carried out across the organization in a timely manner.
The Chief of Staff, Physician Services will work with senior leadership to expand the Steward Medical Group (SMG) footprint via virtual and traditional provider practice development. The Chief of Staff will also assist with the operational integration of acquired practice assets into SMG and will support both the COO and CFO to ensure processes and workflows are functioning correctly and are efficiently.
To support practice improvement, the Chief of Staff, Physician Services will enhance SMG clinical, operational and financial performance, applying evidence-based best practices across the medical enterprise and will assist in reporting monthly results as well as tracking practice improvement projects. The Chief of Staff role will be responsible for proactively anticipating senior leadership needs and will have national responsibility.
Working closely with the Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officer and senior leaders, the Chief of Staff, Physician Services will be an important member of the senior leadership team and must be able to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously at any given time.
• Proactively collaborate with the Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officer to ensure that daily reporting, project management, and monthly presentations are updated and reflect the most recent data trends and performance.
• Work with physicians and clinical management teams to monitor and ensure appropriate utilization of services in accordance with established standards through educational efforts.
• Work within a highly matrixed environment to ensure that reporting, projects, and timelines are being met on all initiatives.
• Work closely with leadership to ensure that provider feedback, marketplace trends, and emerging issues are appropriately escalated to the senior leadership team.
• Assist in meeting facilitation and follow up to ensure that business and financial initiatives move forward toward completion efficiently.
• Meet with senior leaders on a regular basis in order to ensure that business objectives remain current and on track.
• Collaborate with medical group leadership to design and implement new operational/financial models and structures to reduce costs, increase efficiency, improve quality and enhance service within SMG markets.
• Develop and share best practices with SMG Practice Directors and other practice leaders.
• Partner with HR leaders to develop and execute training strategies to build organizational capability across the business that includes training to increase employee skills and leadership effectiveness, particularly in the realm of optimized practice operations.
Required Knowledge & Skills:
• Strong business ethics and values.
• Excellent organizational and follow up skills to drive results are required.
• Ability to lead and oversee multiple engagements simultaneously, communicate prioritization of open engagements and adjust resources as needed to effectively meet all deadlines as business needs shift.
• Advanced communication and PowerPoint skills, with ability to influence, and develop and maintain collaborative relationships at all levels within the organization and externally.
• Demonstrated ability to bring a disciplined thought process and dynamic problem-solving ability to business challenges, including the ability to manage and prioritize potentially competing objectives.
• Strategic problem solving and advanced quantitative analysis capabilities.
• Proven ability to lead and develop people, and improve processes, in accordance with corporate strategic direction.
• Knowledge of physicians' office operations, budgeting and financial reporting, medical billing operations and systems required.
• Ability to manage the financial and operational aspects of multiple specialty or primary care sites, as well as hospital-based services.
• Experience working with or for a large integrated health system is required; experience working in a large group practice setting, for health plans, or other types of health provider organizations strongly preferred.
• Training in quality improvement, performance improvement, employee relations and staff recruitment strongly preferred.
I. Education: Master’s degree required or combination of bachelor’s degree and 10+ years relevant experience
II. Experience: 5 years of relevant experience.
III. Certification/Licensure: N/A
IV. Software/Hardware: Microsoft Office suite with advanced proficiencies in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
V. Other: Knowledge of the health care industry is critical.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
1. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
2. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
3. A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.
Steward Health Car