Call Center Agent
Steward Health Care is the largest private, tax-paying physician-led health care network in the United States. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward operates 35 hospitals in the United States and the country of Malta that regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The company employs approximately 42,000 health care professionals. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, over 7,900 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
The SMG Primary Care Call Center Agent will appropriately gather information from patients in order to schedule appointments, process referrals, prepare prescription refills, and take basic clinical information. This position will also perform other duties as required by the manager with regards to appointment reminder calls, pre-visit planning, and rescheduling appointments as required.
- Answer patient telephone calls coming into the Primary Care Call Center using defined protocols and obtain necessary and required information from the patient in order to process the call
- Call Center Agents will determine the patient’s primary reason for calling:
- If the patient requires an appointment, every effort is made for the patient to be seen that same day if possible, for an acute medical issue.
- If not able to be seen same day due to patient preference or due to provider limitations, every effort is made to have the patient seen as soon as possible by another MD or advanced practitioner in the practice
- In the case of an extenuating circumstance or if the patient is traveling and cannot come in to the office setting, that patient’s interaction would be forwarded directly to the primary care office for further triage
- If the provider, associated advanced practitioner, or other coverage for the practice that the primary care provider is associated with are not able to accommodate the patient, other practice locations will be offered in order to have the patient gain access to care
- Have knowledge of each practice and providers schedule and scheduling preferences
- Follow SMG Best Practices by following pre-visit planning protocols to confirm patient insurance eligibility and contacting patients with upcoming appointments that have not confirmed through other means
- Responsible for timely, efficient and accurate documentation in the electronic medical record
- Interact with Practice staff and providers to communicate and work cooperatively regarding patient care and coordination
- Obtain post hospital and transitional care patient lists and proactively schedule these patients per protocol to be seen by their primary care provider (preferably within three to five days) or one to two weeks (minimally)
- Maintain an updated list for each provider of Medicare Annual Wellness patients and proactively schedule patients as openings become available
- Assist in chronic care management as needed and/or requested for telephonic appointments with advanced practitioners
- Provide patients with World Class service
- Act in a professional manner and treat patients, co-workers, and leadership with respect always
- Maintains a positive work environment
- Other duties as assigned
- Education: Associates degree or relevant work experience required
- Experience: Call Center experience in a health care setting preferred
- Software/Hardware: Athena and Meditech experience preferred
- Knowledge of health care and or related products, medical terminology, insurance products, and coordination of benefits
- Ability to evaluate situations and escalate issues appropriately
- Ability to bring tasks to completion in a manner satisfactory to all
- Ability to communicate with others effectively in a concise manner, to bring issues effectively to a resolution
- Ability to multitask, and ability to follow through with our patients
- Prior experience with Athena preferred
- Experience with Excel, Word and Outlook required
- Organizational, time management skills
- Ability to think globally about the patient experience
- Effective verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills. Creative, flexible, and self-motivated
- Ability to relate positively with patients
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.