Behavioral Health Navigator - Varied Schedule
Behavioral Health Navigators
Master's/PhD is required.
This position provides a workable strategy to effect change by facilitating or recommending appropriate referrals or preventative services, treatment and support for populations with alcohol, drugs or substance abuse. This position evaluates psychiatric patients in the Emergency Department and makes recommendations to the Emergency Department Physician as to the disposition of those patients.
Oversight of the external Emergency Mental Health Crisis Teams that evaluate patients in Steward Emergency Departments.
* Competent in face to face private, confidential interviews with patients to assess the needs of patients from referrals directed by the Emergency Department physicians/staff. Documents the initiation of these referrals in the patient's medical record.
* Confers with related health professionals in relation to the need for interdisciplinary information sharing and treatment planning. Uncovers barriers to care and develops an effective plan for alleviating these barriers to care for the safety ad betterment of the patient.
* Provide individualized psychotherapy, supportive counseling and group therapy as needed
* Responsible for documenting assessments, interventions, plans and related to the patient's confidential medical record in accordance with HIPPA, industry, and compliance standards
* Educate PCP's and clinical staff on alternative care management options
* Demonstrate the ability to work independently
* Provide education/consultation as needed to other mental health care team members and to health care consumers
* Maintain current up to date knowledge of regulatory requirements.
* Actively maintain a valid license to practice behavioral health independently in the state of MA
* Collaborate with other agencies for the education and benefit of the staff and hospital
* Perform analysis and report of various metrics as requested
* Participates in and or represents Community Health in community/hospital board/committee meetings as needed. Completes/leads assigned Community Health Projects as directed.
* Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible and courteous environment.
* Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external)
* Provides culturally competent care
* Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect to differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing diversity and interpreter services when needed.
* Serve as a liaison with other service providers or community supports for the continuous improvement of services to patients.
* Provide education and support for clients to engage in their care, improve health literacy and/or change their health behaviors (e.g. diet, medication adherence, compliance with doctor's visits)
* Collaborates with the Physician and clinical staff to identify high risk medical/social management patients
* Educate patients regarding managed care and Medicare processes/regulations, coordinate discharge/follow up activities and perform home visits or meet patients in their community settings to ensure that they complete their insurance paperwork and have access to the appropriate healthcare services and community supports
* Make referrals to community agencies when appropriate
* Identify potential legal or risk management issues and discuss with their supervisor.
* Participate in continuing education programs that are relevant to job functioning
* Act as a patient advocate and perform other duties as assigned
* Involves other departments in project planning and implementation
* Supports others in the department and provides help and assistance when possible
* Regularly attends and participates in team and or departmental meetings and activities
* Keeps others in the department informed of relevant information
* Regularly offers and requests constructive feedback and coaching
* Establishes and maintains effective working relationships
* Ensures that the dignity of the patient/customer/employee is maintained at all times
* Abides by and upholds the hospitals service excellence standards
* Respects the diversity of the patient/customer/employee population
* Master's Level Clinician skilled in the Assessment, Diagnosis and Disposition of Behavioral Health patients
* Knowledgeable about services available to Behavioral Health Patients
* 1-2 year's direct experience required
* Master's degree (MA, MS, MSW) or Doctorate in Psychology or Social Work,
* Ability to read, write and speak English
* Licensure at the independent level in the state of Massachusetts.
* Licensed Psychologist, Licensed Independent Clinical Social Workers (LICSW) or Licensed Mental Health Counselors (LMHC).
* Computer skills are essential.
Job Status: Part Time
Job Reference #: 100024868