Associate Chief Medical Officer - Administration
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit physician-led health care network in the United States. Steward operates 36 hospitals in the United States and also operates an International division that currently includes the country of Malta.
Steward employs approximately 40,000 employees. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, over 7,900 beds under management, and approximately 1.5 to 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services. The total number of paneled lives within Steward's integrated care network is approximately 2.5 million.
The new Associate Chief Medical Officer will be reporting to Joseph Weinstein, Steward's national Chief Medical Officer. Steward is a physician-led company with strong physician leaders in the Executive Leadership Team.
Quality and Safety, and Patient Experience of Care:
* Ensures implementation of Quality and Safety Plan and annual goals through an interface with Chief Medical Officers at each facility
* Co-Chairs Clinical Excellence Committee and Pre-Clinical Excellence Committee with Dr. Weinstein
* Ensures current processes are effective and addresses shortfalls through assessment, development and implementation of protocols and practices.
* Is accountable for continuous performance improvement and achievements of goals on internal and external measures.
* Reviews all events in the incident reporting system and participates in root cause analysis as needed, identifying and overseeing implementation of corrective actions.
* Analyzes and acts on safety trends.
* Oversees the supervision of the Vice President of Quality and Regulatory Preparedness, the Vice President of Patient Safety and Risk Management, the Executive Director of Quality and Behavioral Health, Executive Director of Clinical Data, Executive Director of Patient Experience, and Executive Director of Readmission and Performance Improvement
* Co-Chairs the System Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee
* Co-Chairs the System Antibiotic Stewardship Committee
* Co-Chairs the System Pain Management Committee
* Co-Chairs the TRACO Claims committee
* Participates in the System Divisional Executive Compliance Committees
* Participates in Monthly OCCP and CMO Monthly Tracker Meetings
* Monitors quality and safety, patient satisfaction, risk management, and utilization review, and develops performance improvement plans.
* Works with clinical documentation specialists, coders, and medical staff to ensure complete and accurate documentation.
* Serves the Patient Care Assessment Coordinators in Massachusetts, accountable for reporting to the Board of Registration in Medicine.
* Ensures regulatory readiness, reviewing, and implementing policies for hospital and medical staff; has a leadership role in Policy Committee.
* Takes an active role in regulatory readiness (e.g. Joint Commission, DNV, BORM, CMS, DPH, DMH, OSHA, FDA, Mass Health, etc.).
* Ensures that all hospitals are in compliance with CMS Conditions of Participation
* Reviews any reports sent to TJC, DNV, DPH or DMH prior to submission.
Medical Staff Office:
* Supervises and meets regularly with the Director of the Credentialing Verification Office
* Serves as a resource regarding credentialing or medical staff issues.
* Ensures medical staff is fully credentialed.
* Ensures Joint Commission readiness for medical staff issues, including focused and ongoing Professional Performance Evaluation compliance.
* Ensures ongoing development of Steward Medical Staff Bylaws
Care Coordination and Management:
* Actively participates in care management to ensure appropriate length of stay, appropriate level of care, and minimize preventable readmissions.
* Serves as physician resource on as needed basis for nursing, leadership, case management, and pharmacy.
* Actively participates in the implementation, staff education, and ongoing evaluation of the electronic health record.
* Participates in throughput flow improvement work.
New Program Development:
* Supports coordination of clinical staff for implementation of new programs.
* Ensures safe, effective, efficient implementation of the electronic medical records documentation and ordering.
Budgeting and Financial Management:
* Ensures appropriate coverage for the Electronic e-ICU patients.
* Participates in developing budget for physician departments.
* Works with the chairs, chiefs, and executive leadership team to develop operational goals and facilitates implementation of business, operational, and clinical tactics necessary for growth, improvement, and attainment of clinical, financial, and operational goals.
* Serves as Co-Chair of the Quality Committee of the Steward Board of Directors,
* Participates in Steward Health Care Network (SHCN) initiatives as requested
* Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
* Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external) in accordance with the Steward mission and vision statements
* Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
* Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge & Skills
* Medical degree with board certification.
* Current licensure in the United States.
* Significant experience in clinical practice.
* Post-graduate training in relevant fields of business or healthcare administration preferred.
* Certified Physician Executive (CPE) certification desirable.
* Prior experience within an acute care community hospital setting.
* Strong clinical competency.
* Contemporary knowledge of laws, regulations, Joint Commission standards, DNV standards, state licensing, and relevant payor requirements relating to medical practice within an acute care hospital setting.
* Knowledge of leading quality measurement, monitoring, and improvement programs, risk management, and utilization review.
* A solid grasp of hospital finance and the ability to effectively participate in strategic planning initiatives, including new program development and clinical services.
* Ability to use objective data to support his/her position and change behavior.
* Ability to act as a strong proponent for clinical quality - inspires others to follow.
* Ability to clearly and effectively communicate new approaches to the medical staff.
* Ability to articulate the clinical quality and regulatory implications of decisions, policies, or actions.
* Ability to command respect, clinically, administratively, and personally.
* Ability to build a collaborative, quality-oriented environment with nursing leadership.
* Ability to interact in a collegial manner with the medical staff, while also being able to effectively articulate his/her point of view.
* Ability to develop a vision for the integration and delivery of medical care and help others move towards and believe in that vision.
* Ability to Travel in the United States and Internationally
* Medical degree with board certification
* Five to seven years of progressive experience in medical staff administrative leadership
* Licensure or eligibility for licensure in the United States
* Excellent Skills in Microsoft Office
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 55292