Under the supervision of the Sr. Director of Operations, the administrative assistant will primarily perform a variety of front desk duties and clerical duties to which he/she is assigned.
- Work closely with the department surgeons to ensure accurate booking of surgeries
- Obtain surgical authorizations from insurance companies as needed including workers comp cases
- Schedule pre-admission testing for surgical patients
- Work with the vendors to arrange necessary surgical equipment for the surgeries where needed
- Schedule History & Physical appointments for surgical patients
- Communicate closely with patients about the scheduling of their surgeries. Return patient inquiries about their surgery in a timely fashion.
- Schedule surgery related diagnostic studies and imaging etc.
- Scan all surgery related documents into Athena
- Check pts in/out at the front desk ensuring all demographic & insurance information is updated and co-pay collected where applicable
- Verify referral requirement. Request referrals where needed.
- Answer department phones in a customer friendly and welcoming manner per the policy of Steward Medical Group. Ensure proper triage of all calls.
- Schedule patient appointments for the department ensuring proper referrals are in place/requests sent where missing.
- Schedule MRI & CT appointments and obtain authorizations as appropriate.
- Verify insurance coverage for all patients being seen by the orthopedic providers prior to scheduling them in the department.
- Enter professional and hospital charges into Athena & Meditech in a timely fashion. Work on insurance claims in the hold buckets in a timely fashion.
- Perform all clerical and secretarial services including typing, photocopying and mail sorting
- Assist in special projects as requested
- Perform other duties as requested
- Maintain confidentiality of patient information per HIPAA
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Prior Administrative Assistant experience within a hospital or medical practice preferred.
- Strong computer skills especially with MS Office Suite.
- The ability to successfully multitask projects is required.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
About Steward Health Care
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.