Steward Health Care is the largest private, tax-paying physician-led health care network in the United States. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward operates 35 hospitals in the United States and the country of Malta that regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The company employs approximately 42,000 health care professionals. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, over 7,900 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
Under the supervision of the Practice Manager or Director of Operations, the administrative assistant will primarily perform a variety of front desk duties and clerical duties to which he/she is assigned.
- Work closely with the department surgeons to ensure accurate booking of surgeries
- Obtain surgical authorizations from insurance companies as needed including workers comp cases
- Schedule pre-admission testing for surgical patients
- Work with the vendors to arrange necessary surgical equipment for the surgeries where needed
- Schedule History & Physical appointments for surgical patients
- Communicate closely with patients about the scheduling of their surgeries. Return patient enquiries about their surgery in a timely fashion.
- Schedule surgery related diagnostic studies and imaging etc.
- Scan all surgery related documents into Athena
- All other things related to surgical scheduling
- Check pts in/out at the front desk ensuring all demographic & insurance information is updated and a copay collected where applicable
- Verify referral requirement. Request referrals where needed.
- Answer department phones in a customer friendly and welcoming manner per the policy of Steward Medical Group. Ensure proper triage of all calls.
- Schedule patient appointments for the department ensuring proper referrals are in place/requests sent where missing.
- Schedule MRI & CT appointments and obtain authorizations as appropriate.
- Verify insurance coverage for all patients being seen by providers prior to scheduling them in the department.
- Enter professional and hospital charges into Athena & Meditech in a timely fashion. Work on insurance claims in the hold buckets in a timely fashion.
- Perform all clerical and secretarial services including typing, photocopying and mail sorting
- Assist in special projects as requested
- Attend department meetings
- Perform other duties as requested
- Maintain confidentiality of patient information per HIPAA
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Prior surgical scheduling experience within a hospital or medical practice preferred.
- The ability to successfully multitask projects is required.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.