Access Clinician - Varied Schedule
The Access Center Clinician is responsible for receiving calls from the community regarding information inquiries, requests for crisis services, and referrals for admission to the inpatient units of the Department of Behavioral Health. He or she provides accurate information regarding psychiatric services available both in the hospital and community. The Access Center Clinician provides telephone assessment of patients calling in crisis and triages them to the appropriate site for further evaluation or follow-up. He or she receives referrals for direct inpatient admission from other facilities and assumes responsibility for coordinating and completing each step of the admission process.
* Demonstrates skill in the assessment of all patients who contact the Access Center utilizing knowledge of DSM IV and Department of Behavioral Health admission criteria.
* Responds to crisis calls from the community with accurate telephone assessment and triage to the most appropriate resource for further evaluation or follow-up. Insures that safe transportation is arranged for patients determined to be in need of emergent face-to-face evaluation.
* Documents crisis calls in accordance with Access Center policy and procedures. Provides clear information for follow-up by Access staff.
* Receives referrals for direct admission from other facilities or for transfers from the inpatient units within Steward Health Care. . Completes the preadmission assessment in accordance with Access Center policy and procedures.
* Reviews all clinical aspects of each potential admission with the psychiatric attending physician. Develops a disposition plan in collaboration with the psychiatric attending physician.
* Identifies patients who are appropriate for outpatient treatment and coordinates a referral to the appropriate outpatient service.
* Provides accurate information and referrals to all callers making inquiries regarding available psychiatric services in the hospital or community.
* Demonstrates the ability to effectively engage and support patients in the process of obtaining treatment.
* Follows department policies and procedures with regard to medical clearance for all admissions.
* Communicates collaboratively with the staffs of the Dept. of Behavioral Health inpatient units to update census status, to report on potential admissions, and to address emerging issues or concerns.
* Checks insurance eligibility. Performs precertification process with insurance/managed care companies and obtains proper authorization for the indicated level of care.
* Coordinates patient referrals from the Emergency Department with external crisis vendors to ensure timely evaluation and referral. This includes documentation of contact, time and ETA with external vendor.
* Provides follow-up to referring agencies, outpatient treaters, and family members when appropriate and in accordance with the policies of Steward Health Care and the Dept. of Behavioral Health regarding confidentiality.
* Establishes a treatment plan through an analysis of the clinical data and symptoms and through consultation with outpatient providers, managed care representatives, and other relevant collateral contacts.
* Reviews all psychiatric/crisis evaluations with the psychiatric attending physician. Develops a treatment and disposition plan in collaboration with the psychiatric attending physician.
* Maintains responsibility for case coordination until the patient is transferred to another level of care or is discharged.
* Coordinates a referral to the appropriate inpatient, outpatient, or self-help resources.
* Communicates facts, ideas, and other information clearly in both written and verbal form.
* Professional Approach to Job Performance.
* Maintains regular work attendance and starts work at scheduled time.
* Prioritizes patient care to complete assignments in a timely manner.
* Accepts accountability for own practice and development.
* Identifies and evaluates professional goals on a yearly basis and fulfills professional goals within established time frames.
* Demonstrates initiative for self-directed professional growth and continued competence.
* Actively participates in hospital committees when needed.
* Communicates through appropriate lines of authority within the organizational structure.
* Provides suggestions for the improvement of existing systems by participating in Performance Improvement activities.
* Conducts activities in a calm, controlled, organized and purposeful manner.
* Actively seeks out and participates in clinical supervision to facilitate improved skills. Responds to supervision in a self reflective and non-defensive manner. Displays ability to accept, respond appropriately, and act on recommendations for change.
* Is supportive of others and provides help and assistance when needed. Establishes and maintains effective working relations.
* Master's degree in Counseling, Counseling Psychology, or Social Work. One year of experience in an emergency or outpatient mental health setting, Two or more years of experience in an emergency mental health setting can replace Master's requirement along with Bachelor's degree in related field.
* Appropriate interpersonal and communication skills.
* The ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced environment.
* Computer skills are desirable.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 52516